hot/cold taps position on basin

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by wilyam44, Sep 19, 2009.

1. wilyam44

wilyam44 New Member

Are there any regulations regarding the position of the hot tap on a basin or bath? I have always positioned the hot tap on the left but have often come accross them on the right.I was taught to fit hot to the left but was never told why? can anyone offer advice or guidance?
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I think that even today, the codes do not address this. But it has become a more or less universal convention, and to install them opposite would risk ticking people off and also possible scald hazard.
  3. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

It is a code issue.
    Example from 2006 IPC:
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

hot

Hot on the right is common in France, but here is is usually because of an installation error.