hot cold shut off valves...

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Fox

Reaction score
What are prefered shut off/stop valves for sinks,toilets,etc. My house was installed with these plastic push/pull types that look to fit by push on. The look cheap. I havent had a leak anywhere in the house but could assume the push/pull offers no ability to change out without cutting copper?

I recently I have seen 1/4 turn valves, compression nut install. Then there are the standard full turn type.

Which valves do people here prefer?

Chris

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
What are prefered shut off/stop valves for sinks,toilets,etc. My house was installed with these plastic push/pull types that look to fit by push on. The look cheap. I havent had a leak anywhere in the house but could assume the push/pull offers no ability to change out without cutting copper?

I recently I have seen 1/4 turn valves, compression nut install. Then there are the standard full turn type.

Which valves do people here prefer?

Chris

Brasscraft 1/4 turn work good.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valves

1/4 turn and you have to cut the valve apart to get the old ones off, not cut the copper tubing. Sometimes you can twist and pull the old valves to remove them.

bobbobwhite

Reaction score
1/4 turn valves are called angle stops

These valves are the in thing today, especially in designer baths, but have some real problems. The angle stops are harder to turn on and off, and not just for older hands, so make sure you get levers instead of knobs...knobs on angle stops are almost impossible to turn with wet hands! Standard bath fixture valves that have been used forever and require a full turn(most American made products)are much easier to turn than angle stops, all things considered. You should stick with the tried and true, full turn valves if you want knob handles.

I learned by trial error....I tried and erred; then I replaced the knobs with levers and they are still still stiff but at least I can turn the darn things.

RRW

Reaction score
I was just buying some of these valves and the place where I got them thinks that angle stop means a valve where the sink connector comes off at 90 degrees to the supply connector. FWIW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks