Hot and cold water reversed. How do I fix it?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by NAD, Mar 11, 2014.

1. NAD

NAD New Member

Hi,

I recently bought a house and the hot and cold water are reversed on my shower faucet. When the dial is set to hot, cold water comes out and visa versa. I took the faucet apart and the attached pictures show what I found. It doesn't appear that I can take it apart any further. Does anybody know what I need to do to fix it? The metal plate that surrounds the valve shown in the pictures is held firmly in place by grout, so even if I unscrew the visible screws, that plate won't come off without damage. Do I have to take it off?

Thanks in advance.

NAD

Attached Files:

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Some cartridges (I don't know if this one is one of them) can be reversed simply by taking the cartridge out and turning it 180-degrees then reinserting it. One of the pros will know.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Unscrew the large "nut" holding the cartridge in, (do not remove the screws holding the plate, because that will not have any effect on what you have to do next). Remove the cartidge carefully so you do not drop any parts, although it should stay together. Rotate it halfway, 180 degrees0, and reinsert it then put the nut back on and try it. it should work properly. You could have a Delta valve "knock off" copy.
  4. NAD

NAD New Member

Thanks HJ, and sorry to be dense, but in the attached pictures, which part is "the large 'nut' holding the cartridge in"? Nothing seems to budge and I don't want to tork anything harder until I know what I'm supposed to be turning.
  5. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

The silver looking nut holding the grey part in.
  6. SHR

SHR Member

Often the nut holding the cartridge in gets stuck in place. You may have to use some penetrating oil like P-Blaster on the threads in order to remove it. Use a large channel lock type plier or a pipe wrench on the nut. Worst comes to worst, cut off the nut with a Dremel type tool and purchase a replacement nut. Do your future self a favor and use silicone lubricant on the threads prior to replacing the nut when re-installing.
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Removing the escutcheon may prevent your scratching it during your efforts.
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

IF the nut is stuck and it is a "Delta knockoff", it could have the three small tubes connecting the two halves. In that case you DO want to remove the escutcheon plate so you can "hold back" on the body while you twist the nut.
  9. NAD

NAD New Member

Thanks guys! I got the nut off, but I forgot to turn the water off first so I ended up soaked :) So to any other newbies out there who come across this thread, turn the water off before you unscrew that nut!

Anyway, I rotated the cartridge 180 degrees and got everything reinstalled and the hot and cold water now work correctly. Thanks again! Great forum!