1. BenWara

BenWara New Member

Need some help please. I've been googling this and can't find anything. Right now I have two hose spigots on my house. they are plumbed with 1/2" pex. I'm trying to establish my yard and don't wanna throw down on a in ground sprinkler system. So i bought a splitter for each spigot and laid out some hoses with sprinklers attached. The idea was i could walk up, crack on the spigot, and all the sprinklers would water my grass.

only problem is not enough gallons to power more than one sprinkler. So i wanted to plumb in new spigots with 3/4 pex and maybe have a better result. The guy at my home store said no one makes an anti freeze type spigot that will have better flow. he also said that plumbing even the spigot i have now with 3/4 pex (instead of 1/2) will not give me any advantage. is he right?

he showed me how i could plumb a spigot with bigger diameter supply line but it would have to be winterized. I wanted to kinda stay away from that. we have crazy weather sometimes. I've cut my grass the day before a blizzard.

thanks for any help.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

1/2" pex is pitiful and 3/4" pex will get you maybe 6 gpm, enough for maybe 2 sprinklers.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The actual opening in the faucet is probably what is limiting the flow, unless you have a long pipe going to the faucet, and that is the same regardless of the size of the faucet.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

The inside diameter of PEX is much smaller than pipes made from other materials.
  5. BenWara

BenWara New Member

I noticed all the spigots have tiny holes right in the beginning where the supply line connects. It looks like there is a ball or something in there... must be for the anti freeze.

so the main questions I have still is:
    1)does anyone make one that has a bigger hole in it and will be anti freeze type?

2) will running bigger pex to the one I already have help? I know that tiny hold is restrictive, but still i kinda think it might help, might not, i'm not sure. and what size would be suggested, generally speaking.
  6. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The pex size is probably at least part of the problem. But how many gpm do you need to get? Looking for a bibb may not solve that whole issue?