Hose clamp will not seal!

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jok, Jan 1, 2013.

1. jok

jok New Member

This shouldn't be so difficult. Dishwasher drain is connected to garbage disposal. Existing rubber connector that connects hose to disposal cracked and was leaking. No problem, just replace the rubber coupling.

Went out and bought a new $2.99 Lasco coupling, slipped one end over the disposal connection and the other over the 1/2" copper pipe that was connected to the 5/8" ID dishwasher hose, and tightened the hose clamps.

The small ID end of the new rubber connector leaks. Things I've tried: replaced 1/2" copper with 1/2" barbed poly; tried different hose clamps; loosened hose clamp; tightened hose clamp. See photo. You can see a drop of water about to drip.

What am I missing? Obviously, the new connector is not sealing around the barbed fitting. Is the barbed fitting just too small? I'm using 1/2", but 3/4" seems too big. Are these connectors known to be oversized such that they're too loose?

Attached Files:

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Cut off the end of the Lasco coupling at the "step" that fits your DW's hose and slide the hose, with the copper tubing inside it, into the coupling, then use a "screw type" hose clamp.
  3. jok

jok New Member

Thanks very much, HJ! I waited a few days to reply, so I could run the dishwasher a few times. It definitely did the trick.

So, is your description the "correct" way to do it, or is it just a solution to this symptom of a slightly oversized connector? Just curious for the next time. Thanks!
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

quote; So, is your description the "correct" way to do it, or is it just a solution to this symptom of a slightly oversized connector?

It could be either, but then I have never seen a "oversized" connector. It is the way I do it, when I have had to work with hoses which have had the end cut off to connect to an air gap since I was discontinuing it.