Hose Bibb Connected to Underground Sprinker System

Users who are viewing this thread

c_g_lima

Reaction score
I have an underground sprinkler system in my house, and I would like to add a hose bibb coming out of the main line (1" pipe). I need a couple of extra hose bibbs around the yard, so I thought I could take advantage of that water line for that purpose.

My plan is to use a 1"x3/4"x1" tee, then run a 3/4" pipe to a 3/4"x1/2" elbow, and finally run a section of 1/2" pipe vertically to the hose bibb. This section of the pipe will be run agains a wall. This pipe layout is based on the sprinkler system itself which starts with the 1" pipe coming from the meter, drops down to a 3/4" pipe at the zone and drops again to 1/2" pipe to each of the spray valves. Rotors are attached directly to the 3/4" lines.

I am not sure about what type of pipe I should use for the section that will run vertically to the hose bibb and will be exposed to the weather. A friend of mine told me I may need to use a galvanized pipe because PVC may freeze easier than galvanized pipe during the winter months. I live in South Mississippi, and we don't get cold temperatures like some of you guys who live up north, but we do get below 32 F down here at night.

Any thoughts on that?

Also, I was looking at the American Valves web site, and noticed that they have a type of hose bibb called garden valve. Are garden valves better suited for what I am trying to do?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
yardhydrant_installed.jpg

They make yard hydrants that are self draining for winter use.
This is what I use.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks