Horrible Clogs

Users who are viewing this thread

Jericho

Reaction score
I've read through a lot of the topics and see various recomendations for best toilets to prevent clogs. We switched to an elongated American Standard model a few years ago and have had bad clogs ever since from it being a higher efficiency toilet I believe. Is there a "Gold Standard" model out there that is the best for preventing "clogs form the logs" lol. Whatever the price I'll pay it cause I'm really tired of having this problem. I just don't want to trade one problem for another. Thanks in advance.

J

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not all toilets are created equal. Which AS toilet do you have? SOme work fine, then there are others.

I, and a lot of others here, have and like their Toto toilets. I'm not sure they make a dog, but some do perform better than others. If I was going to get one now, depending on the style I was trying to achieve in the bathroom decor, I'd consider the Toto Drake II. I put in two of the original Drakes at my mother's house, and she's not had any problems. I have a Toto Vespin and a Carlyle. Both of those have been updated, but mine work fine.

Terry sells most brands and models, but reports the biggest repeat customers and the highest satisfaction comes from Toto toilets and reports less than 1% defect rates, where some of the others ended up nearly 50% (and he stopped selling them). Check out his toilet recommendations page - real world user evaluation, not lab tests and short-term checkouts.

Toto is the world's largest toilet manufacturer and has a factory in Alabama. Not all of their toilets come from there (they have factories all over), but corporate wide, they have excellent quality control and product design.

There are some people (a small percentage) that have a medical problem and have exceptionally hard and long stools. For those, probably the best toilet is the Caroma brand. These have a 3" trapway. They work, but have other issues. They are the only one made (that I know of) that have a trapway that big in diameter. The vast majority of the population can get along fine with one of the better toilets, and in my eyes, Toto wins for the largest variety in that category.

Last edited:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you look at the front page of this site, Terry has a listing of popular toilets and how well they work. The engineers actually test toilets with fake feces and can measure how many grams a toilet can handle.

I have 3 Totos in my house and have been very pleased. I think I have had one clog in 4 years. I highly recommend this brand. Like Jim says above, their quality control is very good. One thing that makes toilets not work well is "slump." Slump is the term used to describe how wet clay (used to make toilets) will sometimes be pulled down by gravity before it hardens. If this happens inside the toilet's trapway, that's a bad thing as it reduces the diameter of the trapway. Toto has worked out a manufacturing system which seems to prevent slump from happening in the first place.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are just very, very few complaints about Toto toilets regardless of the model. Most or perhaps all of the other manufacturers tried to tweak their old designs to meet the low flow requirements. Results were clogs and otherwise poor performance. Unfortunately, many of those brands are still using their old designs. Some have tried changing the fill valves and flappers with limited success. Some go with pressure assists which have problems shredding paper, loud flushing noise, and very expensive repairs when the pressure system fails. Most of them also have quality control issues. Toto designs work like we want a toilet to work. Their quality control is unsurpassed regardless of the country that manufactures the product. They do not push their rejects into discount stores, they scrape them. So you won't find a Toto in a Big Box Store. Builders like to buy those cheap toilets for their spec houses because it helps them keep the price down and the profit margin up. Many plumber make a pretty good living replacing 1 and 2 year old toilets in those houses. I own 2 Toto toilets and zero plungers.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Certainly neither Toto or any other manufacturer can positively guarantee their toilets can not or will not clog. It is however well designed products of any kind will work better than poorly designed ones. Clogs in Toto toilets are rare. I agree the suggestion of going with the best manufacturer is important, they are the ones with the best designs. And, while keeping a toilet clean using good cleaning products is desirable, I don't think this will do much to prevent clogging.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks