Horn Noise When refilling toilet

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by jcornelssen, Apr 6, 2008.

1. jcornelssen

jcornelssen New Member

After each flush, during the tank refill, the pipes make a loud horn noise. I have replaced the water shutoff valve as that was worn. The noise doesn't occur with other toilets or water faucets so I'm thinking it has to be that toilet. I plan on replacing the fill valve next, but don't want to if that's not the problem. House is about 10 years old, and the toilet guts were replaced about 6 years ago. Any suggestions...?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

I vote for the fill valve if you've replaced the shutoff. Korky quietfill works and is quieter than a Fluidmaster.
  3. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Its the fill valve... I had the same thing happen not long ago at my own house... It happened late in the day and I figured I'd fix it the next day. At about 2-3 am someone flushed the toilet and my daughters beagle weht all through the house howling because of the noise. Bright and early the next morning it was replaced...

Now if only her and the beagle can decide to move... The fill valve was not the only thing that damn beagle howls about!:mad:
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

fill valve

It is the fill valve, but an interesting phenomenon is that sometimes the bad fill valve is not in the toilet people are complaining about. They just think it is there.