Hooking up two bathroom fans to one vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Jwhitman

Reaction score
I have a single exhaust fan connected to a 4" duct to a outside vent. I would like to install another fan in a bathroom next to it. I figured just a Y and backdrafts should take care of it, but all the Y's I can find are crimped to flow in the wrong direction. Is there a solution? Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
J

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
At any hardware store, you can buy the tool to put those crips on the end of a tube or fitting.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A higher tech solution would be to use one fan designed to vent multiple rooms such as some of the stuff from Fantec. They have the advantage that the fan motor is remote from the rooms, so it is very quiet.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Two fans into one duct are never a good idea, but I cannot visualize HOW you are planning to install the "Y" if you think the crimps are backwards, because the only correct way to install it would be in the direction the crimps are flowing. If they were "backwards" then the "Y" would be taking ONE source, such as a furnace or fan, and diverting it into TWO ducts, which is the opposite of any logical installation. Unless you existing pipe is ALL backwards with the crimps pointing to the fan instead of away from it.

Gator37

Retired prof. engr.
Reaction score
Look at you fans. If they are ceiling fans they probably already have a backdraft damp on them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks