HoneyWell Braukmann D05 pressure regulator rebuild or replace

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYerNCali

Reaction score
I have a problem with my regulator (I think). When the water is running at any point past the pressure regulator there is a humming noise throughout the house.

From reading online it looks like the problem is most likely the regulator. The regulator is a HoneyWell Braukmann D05 pressure regulator 1 1/4"

Should I replace the entire unit or repair it?

If I repair what needs to be replaced. From what I have seen I should be replacing the cartridge, screen kit and O-ring. How easy is this to accomplish? Other than the parts above what else do I need to do this? seals, tools, etc?

If I replace the whole thing what do I need to replace the unit?

Any free handbooks, videos online that show me how to do this?

Suggestions on where to buy everything I need is also appreciated.

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you can get the rebuild kit from Braukman, that would do it.

Or you can just cut in a new pressure reducing valve.
It's less time to rebuild if you have the kit,

If you can't get the kit, then it's easier to replace.
For a plumber to go out, take down the numbers, order a kit, and come out for a second trip, would wind up costing more.
I don't think I have ever rebuilt one. If I know I'm going to look at a PRV, I bring one along.

Last edited:

DIYerNCali

Reaction score
Hey Terry,

Thanks for writing. I am suprised that you say it takes less time to rebuild than replace. You would think that it would be an easy drop to swap it out.

After I posted I found some more info on the Honeywell site which I will attach. It looks like I need part K05A1017. Am I right?

So why do you say "if I can find the part" Is this something thats hard to find? I've found it online but havent tried locally yet. I think honeywell sells the part directly as well (but its more expensive).

Can the spring or other parts go bad?

I can attach the files due to size limits but here are the links.

http://customer.honeywell.com/Honey...ch/getliterature.axd?LiteratureID=62-3021.pdf

http://customer.honeywell.com/Honey...ch/getliterature.axd?LiteratureID=62-3028.pdf

http://customer.honeywell.com/Honey...ch/getliterature.axd?LiteratureID=62-3029.pdf

DIYerNCali

Reaction score
Is this something thats relatively easy to rebuild? According to the directions it looks like it is.

Also are they phasing these out?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
rebuild

Rebuilding a unit is fine for the homeowner, but I would never do it because if there is some other problem with the unit, I may spend more time than it is worth trying to get it functioning. If that happens the customer may spend more money getting it repaired, than it would to replace it, especially if it turns out that it then had to be replaced anyway.

DIYerNCali

Reaction score
I am having trouble finding the unit for purchase online.

Is replacing the unit more than just loosening the nut, popping it out, putting the new one in and retighten? I'll need new washers. Anything else?

Oh and adjust the pressure.

Is it best to adjust at the unit or can I adjust from any spicket? Is there a huge difference?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
prv

Loosen the nut and unscrew the unit will work if the pipes are arranged so they can be spread apart enough to give room as the PRV is unscrewed and there is enough space to turn it. Otherwise it can be a challenge as to the best way to get it out.

DIYerNCali

Reaction score
Thanks. I am going to check locally for a new PRV first. If not get a kit and replace the parts.

DIYerNCali

Reaction score
One more question.... in trying to find the part (and I think I found it) I saw that it was replaced with DS05G1093 which has the pressure adjust built in. Is this the only difference???? Will I be able to just drop this one in? Are they both the same size?

And to properly adjust the pressure do I have to use the gauge that attaches to the regulator?

Or can I use one of those gauges that I hook up to a spicket thats down stream from the regulator.

And right now I get the knocking and the downstream pressure is 70. Does that mean 70 is too high and I should go down? or is the knocking reflective of a bad pressure reg??

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks