Honesty

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
Plumber changed his prices alot at the last moment.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There should have been some travel time in the billing somewhere and time for parts and preparing the bill.
Many shops charge an up front $39 to $59 for the estimate.

I like to flat rate the work, that way I don't waste homeowners time adding up every little thing that goes into the job.

If there are plumbers out there still charging $60 an hour, they should move to the Seattle area. I only thought a handyman without a plumbing license would work for that.

Since the plumber knew your mother at work, he could have been more forthcoming and helped to maintain the relationship you two have.
There is no telling what another plumber would have charged.

If I have this straight, he did some sort of flange repair, tore out some bad wood and replaced it with new wood?
Was that two or three trips out to your place?

Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
flange

If I had gotten involved with my mothers friend I probably would given her a good break on the whole situation.
Seems like he should have informed you of his new charges, but furthermore he should have kept to what he originally quoted, because of the situation.
Whether because of his mothers relationship or just as a proper core value in general.
Someone should sit down and have a good talk with him and explain the world to him.
If he continues to operate that way, he won't have many repeat customers.
If his mom is a very good friend, find a way to talk to her.
He might charge his mom traveling time too.
Make him aware of Terry Loves site.
I'm certain that you will learn much from other comments that will follow.
This fellow might have an awaking if he found this site too.......
I'll bet that some good will come of all this........

Last edited:

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with Terry, I flatrate whenever I can. Also, the travel time needs to billed. Plus, whatever parts he used, which are marked up as well. A note to Terry, I live about 60 miles south of Chicago. When I work in town, which has about 1300 people, I charge 65. The town 10 miles south has 3 plumbing shops which have been doing a lot of work in my town for years. There hasn't been a plumber in my town for at least 10 years. These other guys charge 35-40 bucks an hour. So, I usually go north to the suburbs. When I go north, I charge 75, unless I can f.r. it, and include the drive, so I might be on the job 30 minutes, but bill for 2 hours.

Peace out,

Kordts

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Cookie, please put the battery back in the smoke alarm right away. These alarms are so valuable in protecting life and property, I don't want you to forget to do this! Right away, please!

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Cookie,

If you install the Google tool bar in your explorer, you will have a good spell checker that will work on any site you are on.

Paul

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
alarm

What did you want him to do about the alarm? If it becomes too persistant, I blow air through it to shut it off, but it may turn back on again in a few seconds or so. Otherwise I let it run until I finish the operation I am doing. We only have your side of the story, but if I wouldn't even start my truck for $60.00 an hour, and an hour is about right for replacing a cast iron flange. DId he itemize the bill so you know how he arrived at his total?

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes,he should have quoted you a price and stuck to it. However,,,are you one of "those" ?
EVERY plumber on this site knows what I mean ! Someone who is " So close to your Mom, or Brother or cousin".

Seems like my family is the most popular in all the kingdom when someone wants something done AND wants a break AND wants it NOW !

The guy was wrong about the $ . But come on ,,,the smoke detector went off ,,,,oh no !! Your splitting hairs . You wanted your friend's son to do it so you could get it cheap. He charged you an honest price .

Be careful with $60. per hour labor,,,,,,that don't cut it for real pros.
Cal

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
next time use a stop watch

I have had customers that I honestly thought
had a stop watch on them and were timeing me
for the work. Then when the bill was handed to them
we ended up haggeling over 20 minutes....
I usually just let it go , knowing that was my first and last
call to this place.

I guess you recently got an estimate from him, not a year or
two ago, correct???? Of course if the cost per hour went up
he should have mentioned that to you before you started.

as far as the smoke alarm , they go off all the time
and sometimes I take out the battery and
sometimes I jsut ignore them because I am about
finished with the soldering...

but if the sound botherd you , and you had to take it out ,
JUST LET IT GO. and move on knowing
you are never going use that fellow again.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
alarm

I usually just "tune out" the alarm until I am finished, unless it is one wired into a network and they are all going off. Then I take a piece of cardboard and wave it at the alarm to turn it off.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
smoke

All he did Terry was replace the flange. He did nothing with the wood. In fact, the flange was so brittle, even though it was cast iron that it broke with 2 small taps of his hammer. He even looked...

alarm....hj said it, just blow on it or fan it with something.
according to Cookies thread, it probably was lead and oakum, and that lingers.........
Cookie, next time get an extension cord and an electric fan and aim it at the alarm.
I still thinks that you had a point about your situation and it was a good learning experience.............

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Darned ol plumber

God is good and nice things come to good people.

That old bathroom looks pretty good now, huh...

Keep your new friendship going.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I agree with plumber1 and Terry. Don't pass this opportunity up with those similarities posing themselves. I always ask first about the smoke alarms before striking a flame in anyone's home; I don't want to trigger a visit from the police or fire department when set up on an alarm system. Very common in the homes I work in.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cookie,

Apologize if I offended. After decades of being abused by selfish , arrogant ,cheap people I guess I've forgotten how many good, honest people there really are . I was wrong,,,,sorry.

Ah ,,,look,,,,,go for it with the Plumber . Might be too soon yet ask yourself would your husband REALLY want you to pass up this chance ? There is NO such thing as coinsidence ,,,,,,,,,,,, Is'nt it possable that your husband sent this man to you ??

Best of luck . Cal

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks