Homeowners' water cut off valve issue

Users who are viewing this thread

jillians

Reaction score
I need to shut off my water in order to repair an irrigation master valve. The homeowner's shut off has no nut securing the handle to the valve bolt. In trying to replace the nut, I discovered that the bolt has damaged threads. It is very difficult to re-seat the handle & secure it. I'm also having dirt/rust issues b/c the sprinkler leak flooded both valve boxes for an extended period of time. This is not a valve that wants to turn. Is there a way to easily close this valve without a handle? (from the square bit on top or the actual large hex on top of the valve?) Is there a way to replace or repair the handle without total valve replacement? The house is 8 years old, so the plumbing isn't old. Better to just turn it off with the city shut-off? Pictures to come-

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When in doubt, we use the city shutoff. Those are usually safer then making a big issue out of the homeowners bad valve at times.

Sometimes if they want a shutoff that works, then the job gets bigger.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
When you change out or repair the irrigation valve, it would be a good time to add a shut off just before the irrigation system.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It probably depends on the area, my home had a connection to the house water line outside and before the house shutoff. There was an anti siphon valve but no shut off. It all went away after I had a well dug. The number of times you have to work repairing the irrigation system I would have put one in a long time ago.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If there was no shutoff, it wos probably a $9.95 special and NOT the required type of valve. Because ALL the proper type valves DO come with shutoffs. In fact, they usually have TWO shutoff valves.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks