Home PC, ungrounded outlet and CFCI

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If the entire home is effected, the ground and neutral are not bonded at the panel.
Some unscrupulous homeowners have been known to upgrade the wiring in the panel and in the outlet boxes but then splice it to old wiring inside the walls to give the false impression that all the wiring has been upgraded. They gamble that someone will not plug in a tester and discover that. I have seen it countless times on home improvement TV shows. It boggles my mind that home inspectors or prospective home buyers would not plug in a tester before pulling the trigger.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Modern, properly working electrical devices do not trip a GFCI. But, it doesn't take much of an error for one to trip, but they are designed for PERSONAL safety, NOT equipment safety. A UPS, especially one that powers the load via the inverter constantly, will protect the most sensitive equipment, and all of them that I've seen, can output a signal that trigger the host computer connected to it to shut down gracefully, if required because the UPS is nearing the end of the battery charge. Don't know of any that will auto start the computer, but some computer bios can perform that function upon reapplication of power.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks