Home Owner's Reminder

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by hhplumbing, Nov 7, 2012.

1. hhplumbing

hhplumbing New Member

Home Owners Reminder/Warning: Winter is getting very close, if not already here in some areas, please remember to remove your garden hoses from your hose bibbs (sediment faucet) to prevent the copper line from splitting.

I see this all the time! It's an easy mistake to do or even forget about. Most people do know that leaving your garden hose on will cause the line to split in freezing temperatures (even if you have a "Non-Freeze" hose bibb.

This post is more of a reminder for you the home owner to take off the garden hose BEFORE the freeze.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

A timely reminder, hh Thank you>
  3. hhplumbing

hhplumbing New Member

Thanks Jimbo, it's one of those things that just seem to get missed
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Don't ask me how I learned this!
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It's a good reminder. But, suggest you consider replacing yours with one of the (few) that will drain properly even WITH the hose still on...then, if you forget, it's not an issue!
  6. hhplumbing

hhplumbing New Member

That may be an option, but I still say remove the hose. It's easy to do and will save unnecessary work.