Home Owner with a plenum question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Karl Erickson

Reaction score
Adding an addition and the Plumber has routed the main service line to an exterior wall and then feeds the rest of the house from that with a plenum. When I questioned the placing of the plenum on the exterior wall he said it didn't get that cold in Texas (DFW). It is a 2x6 wall but from what I've read on the forums it seems the better option is the interior wall 6 feet away. Everything is being run in Pex.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have used the word plenum in your post. It's kind of an HVAC term in my mind. Would this be a manifold in plumbing terminology? Like a hog with twelve tits?
Moving right along, I know pex to be resistant to freeze damage and I'd rather have it in an outside wall than copper. I thought I was going to get rich back in January fixing split copper pipes after that big freeze. Most of them in outside walls in garage areas. Probably a once in a lifetime event for most people in this area. It's up to you, Karl. What's your comfort level? Never had to fix a Pex pipe with freeze damage.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks