Home Made Down Draft Rig for finishing woodwork

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Hey everyone.

Anyone here build a down draft rig for finishing woodwork. I'm repairing a couple of doors and am not please with the finish. Thinking I could rig up a down draft rig to improve on the end result.

Can figure out I think the box and holes but was wondering about what kind of fan and how to filter the air. Was thinking I could use my Delta Air Cleaner and maybe some furnace filters. Worried that the Air cleaner puts out to much air speed.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks.

DougB

Reaction score
I do a lot of wood working - as a hobby. What kind of finish - solvent or acrylic? What's the tempature? For doors they need to be flat - on saw horses. What kind of problems have you encountered?

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Home made Down Draft Work Table

Doug I typically use Laquer on my wood working jobs. I blow out my shop run a few hepa filters and spray away. Any fine particles get sanded out with a lemon oil sand at the end.

These doors however are front doors and exterior. Dark Stain South Eposure - worst combo.

I'm working with Varathane Exterior water based Semi-gloss finish. Only finish I can find locally approved for outside. The finish is slower drying and I'm getting dust settling in my clear coats.

Went today to buy a down draft rig - but no one sells them.

Hit the Home Depot for a few furnace filters and am going to make my own with some plastic, some ram board and some painters tape. Hoping the down draft keeps any dust from entering the work table. Doors are both flat on my shop table.

I'm worried about dust entering the system via my air cleaner so I bought a new air filter bag for it.

I'm going to rig in another furnace filter before I send air to the air dispenser I will make. I'm hoping this works. These clients of mine have been waiting forever for me to fix the doors and I want to deliver a nice (Pefect) end result.

Will post some pictures tomorrow once I finish building my rig.

My woodshop is 500 square feet. it is heated to 19 degrees Celsius why my clients doors are there.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
So no luck with building a down draft rig.

I did try making a side blowing contrapation that worked OK but still lots of tiny dust in my top coat.

Going to lemon oil the door with some 800- grit wet dry sand paper.

That should take some of the shine of the door and the dust bunnies at the same time.

JW

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks