Hole sizes for pipes?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jwray, Nov 11, 2004.

1. jwray

jwray New Member

OK, I'm not a plumber, but I play one at my house evenings and weekends. :D

This will be a basic question that you can probably answer in your sleep if you are a plumber.

Getting ready to rough in the plumbing for my remodel, so I thought I'd go buy the necessary drill bits / hole saws to get the job done. So now the question - what sizes and types?

What size bit / hole saw do you use for each of the supply line sizes:
    1/2"
    3/4"
    1"

and each of the DWV line sizes:
    1 1/2"
    2"
    3"
    4"

(BTW supply material will be either copper or CPVC and DWV will be PVC)

and do you have a preference on the type of "drilling implement", i.e. twist drill/auger bit, speed bit, self feed bit, hole saw for the various size holes?

Thanks,

Joel
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

holes

For water lines I use a 1 3/8 for all of them. 1 1/2" pipe a 2"bit , and for a 2" pipe a 2 9/16". All self feed bits.
  3. jwray

jwray New Member

Supporting the pipe in the hole

HJ,

Makes sense. The supply lines will definitely fit through those holes.

One question. How do you support the supply lines in those holes, especially on horizontal runs?

Thanks,
    Joel
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Note hj's good comment about using self-feed bits. ( Different brands have different names). If you try to use a hole saw, it will really slow you down.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

anchors

I use the split plastic rings that fit into the hole and have a "flange" on the outside for two screws.