Hole in Swimming Pool PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

Cigarstuff

Reaction score
Hello and thanks!

I have two small (1/4") holes in a 3 or 4 inch pressure return line where an automatic chlorinator was once connected. A pool repair guy patched them with some clear sealant and told me to wait an hour before starting the pump again. I waited 24 hours then... Guess what? They blew sky high!

So now, do I absolutely have to cut the pipe and put in new pieces to repair it or is there some other sealant or epoxy or compound that might do the trick? How about JB Weld?

Any REAL pool guys out there???

Larry B.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
are you sure it's PVC and not ABS? If it's PVC or even ABS and standard plumbing parts will fit then it's fun and easy to cut and glue in new parts

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pool

If you think repairing pool piping is easy, then you have not seen many swimming pool installations. Most are so compactly installed that there is seldom enough open pipe to cut and splice it. In this instance, try to find a repair coupling for your pipe size, Cut it the long ways, anywhere except down the center, so you have a "C" shaped piece that is a bit more than half a circle. Apply primer and cement to the pipe and your coupling, then "snap" the coupling onto the pipe over the hole, or holes, depending on how close they are together.

Cigarstuff

Reaction score
I got it!!

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I think I've got it fixed. I turned a 1/4" tap into the holes, then screwed in stainless steel plugs wrapped with plenty of Teflon tape. It's been holding for about 8 hours under pressure. Keeping my fingers crossed! What do you think?

LB

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks