Hole in shower p trap

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Sumbob, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Sumbob

Sumbob New Member

I have a ground floor tiled shower that smells musty all the time.when I looked down the drain I see that there is a hole in the abs at the bottom.do I have to remove tile to fix this?
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Did you vacuum out the water to see? I would love to see a picture of that.
  3. johnfrwhipple

johnfrwhipple Bathroom Design & Build - North Vancouver, B.C.

Is it a hole or just a clean out location?

Some P-Traps look like this.

[​IMG]
    Others like this.

[​IMG]

You might be seeing the clean out and thinking its a hole from the angle you view from.
  4. Sumbob

Sumbob New Member

There is'nt any water down there,I was assuming that the trap water was leaking out the hole.here's a pic

Attached Files:

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

No water?
    You will need to fixt it then. You could try dabbing some ABS cement on it in stages. A bit, let that dry an hour, and then hit it again. What do you have to lose?
    I would try cleaning the surface before trying the cement so it can adhere to the ABS fitting. If you can't make it hold water, you're redoing the pan.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  6. Sumbob

Sumbob New Member

Thank you terry,I appreciate your time and opinion.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

GEt it dry by blowing a hair dryer down the opening. The POUR ABS cement down the drain to fill the hole at the bottom.