Hole in Foundation for well hose

Users who are viewing this thread

gahalifax2010

Reaction score
Hello, I have a large hole in my foundation where the hose for the well enters the house and connects to the pump. The hole is approx 1 foot in diameter and opens up into a hollow space that appears to be under the foundation. The hole is located in my crawl space we use for storage and mice are entering the house here. The previous owners had stuffed pink insulation into the house but of course that does not stop mice or the draft that comes from this.

I want to plug this up to keep out the mice and drafts but not impact the hose for the well or making servicing or replacing the hose problematic. I plan to use some expanding spray foam along with a layer of steel wool. Can anyone think of a reason not to, or a better way? I did not want to get involved in using a mortar or mix if possible.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
As long as the pipe is deep enough to prevent freezing it will be fine. But sometimes the 1' hole is there to allow warmth from the house to keep the pipe outside from freezing.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Any piping outside the foundation should be in the ground below the frost line. Any piping inside the foundation must be kept above the point of freezing.
Had you posted a picture of your problem area, it would probably be easier to recommend a good permanent repair.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks