Hole in cast iron sewer pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by SSChris, Sep 9, 2005.

1. SSChris

SSChris New Member

IT Professional
    I have a hole in the cast iron sewer pipe, right where it meets the wall on the inside of my basement wall.

All other sewer-related piping in the house appears to be PVC, the only thing iron is the T/Elbow, and the pipe from there going through the wall.

Is there any way to replace this T/Elbow with PVC or Iron, or do I need to also replace the whole pipe through the wall?

Thanks.

2. Dunbar Plumbing

Dunbar Plumbing Master Plumber

Service Plumber, Outdoor Temperature Relief Owner
    Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
    To make a effective, water tight connection to the piping leading outside you will most likely have to remove the piping that passes through the wall and make a good, tight connection to the existing piping (probably vitrified clay) and come through the wall as plastic. This seals the deal so to speak on not having to worry about the connection leaking ever again, at least not inside. :rolleyes:

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. SSChris

SSChris New Member

IT Professional
    Thanks - that's what I was thinking, although I was hoping there was some "easier" way. Not looking forward to digging a 4 foot deep trench.

5. Master Plumber Mark

Master Plumber Mark Master Plumber

Sensitivity trainer...to be caring and loving to a
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
    how large a hole??

is this a small pin hole that you can see

or is it more like a hair line crack???

if it is only a pin hole, I see them all the time and

for an easy cheap patch, epoxy or water proof silicone can

delay that project for many many years