Hole in back of American Standard Toilet

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by jdock, Apr 14, 2005.

1. jdock

jdock New Member

My American Standard Toliet has a hole in the back of the base which is leaking water. I went and looked at Home Depot and all the toliets of this model have this hole. What is it for and why does mine have water coming out after I flush?
  2. Kwei

Kwei New Member

Broken seal?

I'm no expert, but sounds like the wax seal is broken and you need to have it redone.
  3. jdock

jdock New Member

Clarification

The hole in the back of the base is about 12" above the floor, the water is coming out of the toilet not near the wax ring.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

hole

When they "fire" clay products, such as a toilet, any closed spaces have to have vents or the air inside would expand and create a "bulge" in the finished product. That is the reason for the hole. The reason water is comng out of it is that the toilet is defective.