Hole in ABS pipe

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by sk8ter, Oct 15, 2009.

1. sk8ter

sk8ter New Member

Hi,
    As I was trying to install the new shower base in the basement i drilled around the rough-in 1-1/2" pipe then cut the concrete by using a chisel.
    When the area was exposed, I found that I drilled into the horizontal pipe as shown in the picture.
    IS there a way to plug/repair/patch the hole (approx. 1/4") other than cut more concrete and cut and replace the whole things there?

Thanks
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2009
  2. sk8ter

sk8ter New Member

3. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

First a shower drain should be 2". It looks like the hole is in the top side of the trap. Cut out the rest of the concrete and replace the trap. You should really change the line to 2".

John
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I am not averse to doing a billy mays job when appropriate. This time, it is definitely not appropriate. Tub/shower drains are prone to hair issues. The slightest discontinuity on the inside of the pipe will tend to grab and agglomerate hair. Being under the slab, and under your soon to be brand new shower, do you want to do anything which has fair risk of not surviving LONG TERM?? Get out the jack hammer!

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2009
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

hole

If the hole were in a straight section of piping there are several ways to fix it. Your hole is on a curved section next to a bell hub, so there is NO WAY to do a proper repair on it. If the pipe is 1 1/2", then you already have a improper drain for a shower, besides having a hole in it.
  6. sk8ter

sk8ter New Member

Thanks guys.
    I followed your advice and all are good.