Hit a phone line and need help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
There is over a mile of there cable on my land. When they remarked the cable out it weaves in and out of a fence I put in a few years ago.
nice
they had to get around your polls

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
They didn’t go around my fence pools but the fence is straight and when they put the cable in the cable was not put down straight. The cable had been down for a year or so before that fence went up. Mss Utilities was way off when they marked the wire for when I put that one up. I will never trust Mss Utility’s anion and will be calling a privet company to mark lines for me from now on.

Yes it was the lawyer that said that I would have to pay for it all. But this was said before all the facts were in.

I went down to my PO Box and I got the bill for the repair $7,589.74. I faxed it over to my lawyer and will get a call back on what to do with it today or Monday.

Sjsmithjr

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good luck to you; in the end I hope everything works out in your favor. In case anyone was wondering, the repair bill for the last fiber optic bundle we hit was over $50K.

I was talking about this last night to a buddy who is an attorney and he made a really good point: what are the chances that a homeowner would understand the liability issues and the potential costs to make repairs.

I'm not a big fan of "what if" scenarios, but what if that cable had been in the ground for over seven years and the locator missed it? What if it had been fiber optic cable (it's not like they use a different a different shade of orange to paint it on the ground). What if it had been a high voltage line or a high pressure gas line? The answers range from "you're dead" to "that'll be $50K".

Although a lot has been done to drive home the need for utility clearance, I don't think much has been done to explain the liability issues, particular to individual homeowners.

-Sam

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Rugged this one is going to court unless they make me happy. The cable is on my property and has no legal right to be there. There off there right away is between 10 to 20 feet. I’m sure there are spots that it is off by more but I haven’t walked the whole line yet.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
got_nailed said:
Rugged this one is going to court unless they make me happy. The cable is on my property and has no legal right to be there. There off there right away is between 10 to 20 feet. I’m sure there are spots that it is off by more but I haven’t walked the whole line yet.

I'd have the pics in hand ready to head for the local paper, news.
If they so much as murmer a word of that 7500 being on you, I'd jump on it along with pics of the paint and hole dug.
Also, question comes to mind, do your pics make the location clear relative to your property line?

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
My pics make the property line, where the cable was said to be, and where the cable is more than perfectly clear.

As far as the local paper they have called me and are coming on Saturday to look at everything and they might do a story on it and will land it in the paper. Having this in the paper would not be what I want depending on how it all turns out.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Here's what you do

If the newspaper is coming to check it out.....and you know they messed up....

If you don't have little kids, rent them. Have them there with your wife and make them peel onions and send them outside when the cameras are rolling.

Tell them that little timmy and samantha might not have a christmas if these people do this to you and your family. And when you start crying, start crying real loud like your choking and snorting like you can't stop so they have to pull the camera away because it's too disturbing to watch and that somebody might you tube it to really make the utility marking company regret what they did to this poor family.

Do it!

Last edited:

Abikerboy

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Rugged...LOVED your response! Fighting phone company recently on repairs to my phone line, which they swear I should pay for! My phone works great until it rains! Guess I got lucky...burried cable was found on my property without an easement or right away granted...has been here since the 1980's! I refused to sign a right of way until my own phone line is fixed! Then they offered to buy the easement...says that there are 27 phones on the burried cable, and relocating the line is uneconomical! I told them, not my problem...your problem! Fix my phone line, then we will talk! I actually got 4 phone numbers to 4 techs, covering all three shifts, and next time it rains, Im suppose to call all 4 of them! They said they would fix my line regardless, and after it is fixed, we will meet to discuss the PURCHASE of their right of way! Guess it depends on where youre at, and how big of an ass youre willing to make of yoruself! In my case, I notified them that 300 feet of cable, plus the above ground splice boxes could be picked up in a neat pile stacked beside my driveway if my phone wasnt fixed to my satisfaction!

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
That’s a good one rugged. I need more kids don’t I.

The way it looks they will be doing something soon with that line. I will sell them an easement but it will not be where the cable is right now. In any way shape or form I do not want the cable inside of my fence. I have seen companies cut the wires and not fix the wires letting the cattle out, but to them they say they had the right to gain access to there cable.

There are 2 other properties that the phone line is on and they did not get easements for there land either. They are on the same path that I’m on but they haven’t hit the cable yet. Between the 3 of us there is over 2.5 miles of there cable on land with out easement or right away grants.

Now for the fun… I’m about to go out and use my auger to put in more holes for my fence. I did get some extra shear pins just in case. I did call the phone company to send someone out to make sure there marks are right and to make sure I do hit it again. The paper will be coming out when I’m dinning more holes and the other 2 people that own land that the cable is on are helping me with the fence (working for free).

I did find out that the cable jumps between 2 of the 4’x3’x6’ junction boxes. The cable runs between a small town and a town that if you blink you miss it.

On Monday when it stuff starts hitting the court system is when it will all start to getting good.

As far as being an ass on 10/16/07 the phone line will be pulled out and sold to the highest bidder. This will give them 30 days to remove or resolve there cable once the paper work is filed on Monday.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Public utilities usually have the right to take an easement by eminent domain. They may be able to compel you to allow the cable on the property but they will have to pay damages for it. Damages include the loss of your ability to use the property for other purposes.

One risk of selling them or giving them an easement is that if you ever need to have the line moved for any reason you will have to pay all costs. For example, if you had to put in a driveway or road or drain that interfered with the line you would have to pay the total cost.

I know a guy that gave the power company an easement to let the lines cross the corner of his property. When he wanted to build a house on the corner they wanted thousands of dollars to move the line.

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The only problems I can see with having the cable between the road and my fence would be the drive way and the ditch. But I can’t see ether one being a problem.

I was talking to the phone rep and he was telling us that they had people out looking at hanging a cable down one of the power lines a few miles down from us. I think this would be the best for all. I did come up with something that will work; if they give me a T3 for free for life then I’ll be good to go.

I moved the fence line that I was working on before so even if the line dose stay were it’s at the cable will be on the outside of the fence. The cool part is after the newspaper left the phone guy started to help us out. The guy they sent out was told that the line was miss marked and we were going to try to hit it again.

The easement for the power company had to happen; I needed power. There polls only go as far as the edge of the woods the rest is under ground.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks