High water pressure outside; low inside house

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by cepperson3, Sep 4, 2010.

1. cepperson3

cepperson3 New Member

I have been searching for an answer to my unique problem and I hope someone can help. I have extremely high water pressure on the outside front hose bib (115 PSI). I've already had to replace part of the water pipe coming in from the street probably because of the high pressure. The plumber who did this could not figure out why the pressure is so high outside but so low everywhere inside. He said if I put a pressure regulator valve on that it would probably reduce the inside pressure even more. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

My first thought was that your pressure regulator is defective. Your symptoms are classic for that. But you seem to indicate there isn't one. I would look for one somewhere, because otherwise you need to call in Dick Tracy!
  3. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Is the pressure low or the flow low inside? Don't confuse the two.

Did he measure the pressure inside as well?

Low flow can be caused by pipes that are narrow.
  4. cepperson3

cepperson3 New Member

I don't remember if he measured the pressure inside, so I guess the flow is low.
  5. cepperson3

cepperson3 New Member

The plumber did not see a pressure regulator installed. I'm thinking of calling another plumber for a second opinion. Thanks.
  6. cepperson3

cepperson3 New Member

I don't remember if he measured the pressure inside, so I guess the flow is low.
  7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

The PRV may not include the hosebib. That can happen. I would trace the lines back and see if I could spot an old PRV, which may need replacement.