high utility bill... does this sound realistic

Users who are viewing this thread

Trepidation

Broken Robot
Reaction score
During the spring and fall, my utility bill is usually rocking in the 150 dollar range. This seems really high since the only constant thing I run is my PC. I wouldn't be heating, and I am not running the air conditioner.

Here is my hair brained idea, and I want to see if this sounds like I am even in the right neighborhood. I have a newer well, it was drilled further away from my house and no longer comes up through the well house located off the side of my basement. They used the original well house for my pressure tank. It is all metal, and my basement usually is rather cool. I suspect the well house on average, is probably 5 degrees lower than the coldest part of my basement.

My water heater, is an electric, it is your typical hardware store 1998 variety (my memory wants to say 55gallons). Not great but not terrible... I get about 25 minutes of hot water out of the shower and then it goes from hot to nuclear winter.

What is the probability of my pressure tank sitting in a lower temperature wellhouse, acting like a gigantic heat sink and forcing my water heater to go berzerk just to keep the water at temperature?

It's just me, I love my long showers. I expect there to be a slightly higher bill because of the well pump... but I don't drink the water, it's just one person flushing the toilet, and like any bachelor... the only cooking I do is the occasional pot of macaroni and cheese.

If this idea isn't so far fetched, I was thinking of studding up the walls and spray foaming the well house. Then just throw a light bulb in on a thermostat. Either that or move the pressure tank into the basement. I'd really like a gas water heater, but I want to see if I can show improvement without adding more unpredictable variables to the mix.

Reach4

Reaction score
Electric rates vary. Does that $150 correspond to 500 KWH, or 2000 KWH?

Trepidation

Broken Robot
Reaction score
SUMMARY OF CURRENT CHARGES
(detailed charges begin on page 2)
Electricity Service 09/08/14 - 10/07/14 883 kWh $123.91
Natural Gas Service 09/08/14 - 10/07/14 13 therms $21.56
Non-Recurring Charges / Credits $3.20
Current Charges $148.67

the 13 therms is the cost to run my pilot, usually it is a little higher on electricity but last month I shut off the fan to see if that made any difference.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's time to look seriously at switching to NG, assuming you have gas (you mentioned pilot). Your 1998 WH is about to stop working anyway.

About your electric consumption: do you have a fridge? small kitchen appliances? there are power guzzlers.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I never seen a bill that did not have Taxes and Service Fees.

It must be nice.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Btu's are btu's, so if a light bulb would heat the storage tank enough to make a difference in the operation of the water heater, then the water heater could do the same thing for the same amount of money.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I pay $20 in Taxes and Fees for Natural Gas, a month.

In the summer I use $5 in gas for a stove top.

$25 a month total, Until winter comes and I fire up the Heater, Then I get close to my moneys worth.

Electricity is cheaper now a days, If your Grid can handle the load. Many old Grids and Service Panels can not.

Most New builds here are all electric, NG is not a option. Blowpain tanks are not allowed.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
About your electric consumption: do you have a fridge? small kitchen appliances? there are power guzzlers.
883 is pretty many KWH, but not abnormal.
Your computer might be 100 KWH per month depending... the cable box and modem take power. You might want to learn to read your electric meter. You might consider getting a "kill-a-watt" device that you can plug in line with loads, such as your computer, to see what you want to test. You can't plug one of those in series with your water heater. You could plug that in series with the fridge for a while.

Feel the outside of your water heater. I presume it will feel warm. That is heat escaping. While a gas water heater would cost less to run, a water heater blanket could retain some of the heat. Some don't think they are worth the effort, but they can reduce heat loss. http://www.carolinacountry.com/inde...-a-water-heater-insulation-blanket-save-money

A dehumidifier takes a lot of power.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks