High quality shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Fubar411

Reaction score
I was wondering what the recommended shower valves are? I have heard mostly Moen and Delta on here, but which specific lines? I'm looking for shower only (no bath), with a classic chrome look to it.

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Fubar411

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Also, this will be for a dual shower head system, if there is a good way to do this without individual shut offs for each shower head.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
NO way to control two separate shower heads without a diverter. Do NOT use individual valves unless the control valve does not have its own shutoff function.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I have three showerheads on one valve and simply turn 2 off with the 8$ pushbutton valves that screw on the end of the arm.

Fubar411

Reaction score
How about this:
http://www.moen.com/search?search_scope=0&search_terms=t4111
it is Moen T4111 Kingsley Trim

I assume a transfer valve could be used for running two showerheads, althought not both at once? I do like ballvalve's suggestion to use a volume control. I'm looking for the typical water waster, decadent shower, shower only. I saw another thread where people were inverting something and then using the bathtub output for a grander shower.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many valves have two outputs, one is smaller than the other, and since you want to fill the tub the fastest you can, you use the larger outlet for it, and the smaller one for the shower. Nothing says you can't swap them, but it often isn't necessary, since you can easily get the max for an approved showerhead out of the smaller tap. A single showerhead can use up to 2.5g. A 1/2" valve can easily flow maybe 6g (more when you add hot and cold), but exceeding that can cause excess wear from high velocity. So, most any valve could work until you start a car wash. Multiple heads also means exhausting your hot supply, or having a large one, incurring extra costs. If you don't already have 3/4" lines to the bathroom shower, you may need to run them; depends on how much volume you need to keep the pressure up with the number of heads.

Delta's 1700 series of valves are nice and use the R10000 rough-in valve. The features depend on the trim/cartridge kit you choose. And yes, when you buy from other than the big-box stores, you often end up buying the rough-in separate from the trim. You have three generic choices: generic pressure-balance, pressure balanced with volume control, or thermostatically controlled valve, all from the same rough-in. Depends on the trim package you choose. Prices go up in the order listed.

I've had good luck with my Grohe stuff, availability is good in my area, may not be where you are, and that should be a factor as anything, eventually, needs some service. I like thermostatically controlled valves, or at a minimum, a pressure balanced one with separate volume/temperature knobs. This way, you can set the temp you want easier, and it stays there. The thermostatically controlled ones work better in season changes as the cold winter water doesn't affect the output as much.

Fubar411

Reaction score
Ok, I like the Moen "vertical spa" systems, but a quick search on here told me the Moen 3371 valve is hard to service.

I have no problem running 3/4" supply to the valve.

I also like the Kohler, but nobody here seems to recommend them.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Kohler can, and does, make some nice stuff. Problem is, while most of the other manufacturers keep the guts the same and change the trim using tried-and-trued designs, Kohler seems to like to change the whole thing. This means that when it comes time to service the thing, finding repair parts can be very problematic, timeconsuming, and expensive since they may literally have to make it. their not-invented-here attitude lends itself to some convoluted designs. Don't confuse outward looks (where they are good) with easily repairable internals. they might be easy to repair, when you can get the parts. And, because they change things so much, the economy of scale often doesn't kick in.

Fubar411

Reaction score
So, I guess for HJ because I saw him say it before. Is the 3371 a problematic valve? I found a kit I like, the Moen 270.

Thanks,
Rob

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks