high psi +water on the floor.

Discussion in 'Boiler Forum' started by Zipeh, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Zipeh

Zipeh New Member

i had posted in another forum .. but im told this is the correct place.

oil hot water boiler .. i thought it was a furnace but i guess i know not of what i speak :)

relief valve released about 4-6 litres of water this morning.

eventualy drained 6 buckets of water from the expansion cylander .. not a bladder one afaik.

i think i heard it come on again -- went and checked on it, off now and when i check the psi its at 25 and looks like water was a discharged again .. only 1/4 of cup or so.. maybe less.

i could drain more from the expansion .. not sure how long i should do it for.. water seemed dark and sooty in the bucket but looked to be flowing clean. some gurgling audi while turning off the drain valve and the air valve and when throwing the cut off valve back to open.
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

If it's just a tank and not a bladder tank then you must drain all the water from the tank. Turn the system off and close the valve between the tank and the boiler and drain all the water. Then refill the tank by turning the valve between the tank and the boiler on. The tank will fill to two thirds water & one third air. This should be done yearly.

John
  3. Zipeh

Zipeh New Member

i bled the tank dry and set it all back in motion .. it all worked great till i took a shower and it was back to 30 psi and water coming out of the relief valve again.

should i drain it again ?
  4. johnjh2o1

Are you sure your getting all the water out? If so then you may have a bad auto feed. Can you post a picture of the tank and how it is piped?

John
  5. Zipeh

Zipeh New Member

i didnt get all the water out at first ,, but i keept going later on and did have no water trickling with both the valves wide open (after a bunch of darker coloured water came through in the last bit ).. closed them up and then opened the shut off and it seemed to stay around 12-15 psi .. for a while.

[​IMG]

---

[​IMG]

----

[​IMG]

---
  6. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

You have the hose on the wrong drain valve. It goes on the valve on the tank. Also the boiler feed valve needs to be closed while you are doing this.
  7. johnjh2o1

When draining your tank turn off the green handled ball valve that supplies the tank. Turn on the drain that your hose is connected to. Then just open slightly the drain that is on the tank. At this point you should here the valve on the tank sucking air. This will allow the tank to completely drain. The tank can not fully drain if air is not allowed into the tank. It's like holding your finger over a straw.

John
  8. johnjh2o1

Either one will work. But he must allow air into the tank so it will fully drain. It's like trying to drain a water heater with out allowing air to get in from some where. (open TP valve or faucet}
  9. Zipeh

Zipeh New Member

did that, it fully drained out .. well i thought it did. .. i may try it again and leave it open longer -- but i did use the air valve to let air into it.