High pressure from spout bad from shower head

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by terrypnt2001, Jul 28, 2010.

1. terrypnt2001

terrypnt2001 New Member

Ok last question for now.
    the water pressure in my bath tub would blow you away!!1 but when I pull the knob and switch it over to the shower head the pressure is about a 1/4 of the spout pressure.
    A fix?
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Unscrew the showerhead from the shower arm and you will know where the problem is.
  3. terrypnt2001

terrypnt2001 New Member

I am a girl and not a plumber at all so could you tell me what I am supposed to see?
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

When you unscrew the showerhead so there is just the chrome 1/2" pipe sticking out of the wall and you turn it on with water supposed to be coming out of the shower you will probably see a great flow of water.

Then you will know the shower head is clogged.
    Showerheads have restrictors in them that sometimes plug up.
    Other times soaking the showerhead in vinegar or CLR can clean them out.

If you don't see a good amount of water then there is another problem and it involves repairing the valve.
  5. terrypnt2001

terrypnt2001 New Member

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quick I will do that.