High Pitched Noise from Gas Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric M.

Reaction score
I have a 2 year old American Standard natural gas water heater with Honeywell Gas Control (this was a warranty replacement on another American). About 2 weeks ago I noticed a high pitched noise coming from what seemed like the bottom of the tank. I've tried all the other troubleshooting options like flushing the tank to remove sediment buildup (wasn't much). This noise is still present. It is there whether or not the burner is ignited or just the pilot is lit. Doesn't matter if water is running or not.

I tested turning off the gas at the control and then manually shutting off the gas line. The high pitched sound then goes away. Does this mean I have a faulty gas control? How can I troubleshoot?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Normally that sound would come from the gas line to the control because it is too small or has sharp bends it in, but in that case it should only happen when the burner is on. But, if it happens regardless of the burner being on or off, OR whether a hot water faucet is on or off, then it meant the sound is occurring some where else, possibly a pressure reducing valve, and the heater is just acting as an amplifier/resonance chamber.

Eric M.

Reaction score
as soon as i turn the dial from off to pilot and press the dial in the high pitched noise starts. even before lighting the pilot. no idea where to start or if i should just call a plumber

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WHen you press the dial in, you open the gas valve. Once the pilot has started and warmed things up, it keeps the gas valve open.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Might be an issue with the pressure regulator...a pro with the right tools is a good idea to have it checked out.

Mr. Mint

Reaction score
I have a 2 year old American Standard natural gas water heater with Honeywell Gas Control (this was a warranty replacement on another American). About 2 weeks ago I noticed a high pitched noise coming from what seemed like the bottom of the tank. I've tried all the other troubleshooting options like flushing the tank to remove sediment buildup (wasn't much). This noise is still present. It is there whether or not the burner is ignited or just the pilot is lit. Doesn't matter if water is running or not.

I tested turning off the gas at the control and then manually shutting off the gas line. The high pitched sound then goes away. Does this mean I have a faulty gas control? How can I troubleshoot?

I had the exact same problem with the Honeywell gas control. Having called Rheem tech support, one Rep. told me there was too much gas pressure and to call my gas company. Sure, like everyone on the street has the same problem. I called back a few more times and was sent (in total) two more controls and the burner assembly. Replacing the gas control did nothing as the tone was still being generated. It sounds like an electronic alarm tone by comparison.

To find out what exactly was causing the "tone", I extended my gas line so I had a place to set up a temporary second control, pilot line, and burner that was external, i.e., not associated with a water tank. I opened the plastic housing of the gas control and removed the electronic circuit board so there were no pressure or temperature readings. The bare-bones control was then 100% manually operated.

What was discovered: The source of the noise is coming from the pilot light valve inside the control. When you press the igniter button to send a spark, the mechanical shock wave travels through the metal and into the valve causing it to oscillate and generate the tone. To prove this on the temporary rig, I would press the button to allow gas to enter the pilot tubing and then light it with a match. Also, I took an igniter from one of my spare units and connected it to the temporary rig so it was not mechanically attached. When using either method to light the pilot, there was no tone and no valve oscillation. To even further verify my findings, I went to my installed hot water tank and disconnected the igniter wire and connected the spare. The igniter was then operated external to the water tank. Again with no mechanical shock, the valve remained quiet while in operation. Interestingly enough, the gas pipe going into the control could be tapped with a wrench and the oscillation & tone would start. The only way to stop the tone is to set the dial to OFF to cut off the pilot supply. One can only conclude that gas traveling through the pilot valve in conjunction with the shock wave produced when pressing the igniter sets up a valve oscillation thus causing the tone.

My final opinion is that these gas controls are either poorly designed or defective and no one wants to admit there is an ongoing problem.

Last edited:

Tim Moyer

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem with the Honeywell gas control. Having called Rheem tech support, one Rep. told me there was too much gas pressure and to call my gas company. Sure, like everyone on the street has the same problem. I called back a few more times and was sent (in total) two more controls and the burner assembly. Replacing the gas control did nothing as the tone was still being generated. It sounds like an electronic alarm tone by comparison.

To find out what exactly was causing the "tone", I extended my gas line so I had a place to set up a temporary second control, pilot line, and burner that was external, i.e., not associated with a water tank. I opened the plastic housing of the gas control and removed the electronic circuit board so there were no pressure or temperature readings. The bare-bones control was then 100% manually operated.

What was discovered: The source of the noise is coming from the pilot light valve inside the control. When you press the igniter button to send a spark, the mechanical shock wave travels through the metal and into the valve causing it to oscillate and generate the tone. To prove this on the temporary rig, I would press the button to allow gas to enter the pilot tubing and then light it with a match. Also, I took an igniter from one of my spare units and connected it to the temporary rig so it was not mechanically attached. When using either method to light the pilot, there was no tone and no valve oscillation. To even further verify my findings, I went to my installed hot water tank and disconnected the igniter wire and connected the spare. The igniter was then operated external to the water tank. Again with no mechanical shock, the valve remained quiet while in operation. Interestingly enough, the gas pipe going into the control could be tapped with a wrench and the oscillation & tone would start. The only way to stop the tone is to set the dial to OFF to cut off the pilot supply. One can only conclude that gas traveling through the pilot valve in conjunction with the shock wave produced when pressing the igniter sets up a valve oscillation thus causing the tone.

My final opinion is that these gas controls are either poorly designed or defective and no one wants to admit there is an ongoing problem.

Tim Moyer

Reaction score
We had the same issue on the same Honeywell Control Module for a Bradford White that was a few months old.
Same story, check the gas pressure, blah, blah...
I called the gas company to check the pressure and it was of course fine. The tech disconnected the gas from the control module, and reconnected it and the sound was gone. Maybe there was something in the line? Any way, give it a try and see if it works.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
We had the same issue on the same Honeywell Control Module for a Bradford White that was a few months old.
Same story, check the gas pressure, blah, blah...
I called the gas company to check the pressure and it was of course fine. The tech disconnected the gas from the control module, and reconnected it and the sound was gone. Maybe there was something in the line? Any way, give it a try and see if it works.

You realize the original post was more than three years ago, and that the last response was more than a half year ago, right? o_O

fixitall1234

Reaction score
This post helped me in 2024. Have an A/O Smith installed last year. Same high pitched alarm like sound. Something to do with the controller, when I turned the knob to off, the ringing stopped. Restarted the pilot and now is operating silently again.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks