High pitch whining in shower

Users who are viewing this thread

CarolynG

Reaction score
Recently started hearing a high pitch whining in shower. It's walk-in shower with single hot/cold knob. I removed shower head and still hear the noise (although not as loud). Not present with just cold but begins as I turn the knob to hotter water. I haven't tried adjusting the pressure, but the water pressure in our entire house is not very good. Neighbors report low pressure as well, so I don't think it could be a problem with pressure too high.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Someone a few days ago asked almost exactly the same question...his problem was the diverter on the tub spout and is a fairly common situation. Play with that a little, and if that changes the sound, you've found the problem. They're usually not repairable, so replace it. One of the long-time pros here finds the Delta spout with the pull-down diverter works quite well and lasts a long time. To activate it, you pull down on a ring around the outlet of the spout, when you shut the water off, it springs back and opens up the tub spout again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks