High iron in well water and a bad green sand filter

Users who are viewing this thread

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a customer who has a shallow well, about 100 ft. It has heavy iron. I haven't measured it but I would guess in the 5 ppm range. I do know that it will turn everything red and stains heavily. I will test it when I get a chance.

He had one of the old iron filters that looked like a ~40 gallon galv. tank that used the green sand or potassium permangenate. I have never really messed with these much but it's the one that has the screw on cap on top.

His old iron filter tank got a rust hole in it so he bypassed it. Now he's getting staining water really bad in the house and he wants to replace it. I contacted my supplier but I'm told they no longer make or sell these tanks due to the green sand being outlawed?

What is being used today to filter iron? I know there are the oxidizers etc but what is the common approach?

Thanks for any info.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Does anybody know what the proper name was for those old galv. tank iron filters were called? I'm trying to find out for sure if we cannot get them. I still see pot perm for sale and other iron filter equipment that still uses the pot perm.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
If it is the old style, nearly identical to the softeners from the 50's, most of those are gone as they have been replaced by simpler, more cost effective and higher efficiency systems. It was nothing more than a tank with a couple ball valves and a removable cap. You would backwash the system, open the top, pour your pot-perm in, and open the valve to direct the flow down through the media and to the drain. Softeners worked the same way except the tanks had a regenerable resin or a natural zeolite and you would use salt.

Can you post a picture of the old equipment?

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sorry I don't have a picture as the customer called me and I have not been out (I put in their pump but not the softener). I have seen these tanks many times, I just don't know what they are called. They are galvanized metal, they have a large cap (probably 12 inches diameter), and they are about 4 ft tall. The regeneration is manual and I'm told that about once a year you have to add the pot perm and manually regenerate.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks