Hi Guys, Toilet Newbie. 14 Inch Width and 12 Inch Rough

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee Hsieh

Reaction score
I wanted to thank everyone for contributing in the Kohler Persuade Review, pictures and comments thread, it has really helped me out significantly.

I was hoping to see if the genius of this board could help me with a toilet problem, (never in my life did I think i would type that sentence)

I purchased a studio apartment on the upper east side, and the super recommended me changing the toilet from flushameter to a tank toilet.

I don't even know if the flushameter is the right terminology, it's just a setup you would see at a public restroom. He said, that if it explodes it could be a disaster.

First question is should I be concerned of changing it out as soon as possible? Is it really going to explode? what are the odds of that?

Second is that due to space my toilet and tank could only fit 14 inch width and 12inch rough.

Do they make toilets of that size? I was looking at the Kohler, but have chosen TOTO as the brand.

Can anyone assist in putting a link of a toilet that would fit? There is aheat pipe next to the toilet that gets in the way?

The closet I found was 15

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Lee

Last edited:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure of just what you are measuring to get these figures. Rough-in is measured from the center of the flange to the finished wall. The center of the flange is the same as the flange bolts, so you don't have to pull the toilet to measure rough-in. Code requirement for width is 15 inches from the center of the toilet to each wall. This means at least a 30" wide space. Every toilet on the planet will fit in that space with room to spare. If the existing space is less than 15" on each side, you'd have to discuss this with your inspector. A slight variance might be allowed (or might not). I doubt if you are sitting on a time bomb, but I'd get rid of the old toilet as soon as reasonably possible.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
There was a recall notice about some of the Flushmate tanks. They send out a pressure reducer and strapping kit for it. The serial number on the top of the pressure tank is what they go by.
Those are a pressure tank within a porcelain tank.

If you have a Flushometer, like in a commerical space, valve only, those are impervious to to damage. It's just a disc sandwhiched between a lot of metal.

If you have a pipe behind your bowl, that will affect your choice of replacement bowl. Maybe a picture of what you have? 800 pixels or less.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yeah, shoot us a picture. If it's "what you would have in a public restroom", then it's a flushometer. It's a metal pipe coming out of the wall with a metal handle on it that then turns down and goes into the toilet bowl. You see pipe and bowl, with no tank, right?

There are a surprising number of multi-unit NYC dwellings that have flushometer toilets. If you have one, you're in a good place. They flush pretty well, albeit a bit noisily. They don't look swanky, but they function. There is no danger whatsoever of them exploding. Your super plainly ain't a plumber. Maybe he doesn't like fixing them, maybe he doesn't know HOW to fix them. But what he said about explosion is idiotic and wrong, assuming you have what I think you have.

If the seat is a typical commerical seat (open front), you might be able to get a more "normal" seat that fits on it and that might improve its appearance.

In short, just leave it and spend your money on something else.

PS I have a place (nice rental building) on the UES as well. Welcome to the neighborhood.

Lee Hsieh

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your help.

Sorry for confusing you guys.

wjcandee is right, it looks like this https://www.google.com/search?q=flu...m%2Fplumbing%2FFlushometer_Valves.php;480;640

I don't have a photo of it, because I am at work, but that's the basic idea.

What I mean by the tank is that, the heat is supplied by a pipe that is next to the toilet, and it blocks it from putting a big water tank. Based on my understanding the tank that fits there can only be 14 inches wide.

I will provide a photo the next time I am at the unit and post it.

But based on what I read, it sounds like these flushomatics work well, and very low failure rate, so I shouldn't be too concerned with them, please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Best,

Lee

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 398

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The flush valve, if it starts to act up, is easily repaired and there's no danger of the thing blowing up unless you drop a cherry bomb or something similar down the toilet!

Lee Hsieh

Reaction score
photo6.jpg

Here is the actual photo.... pardon the mess.

So I am in good shape? Worst case I will buy a new toilet and flushometer.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input, it truly means a lot for you guys to take time out of your days to help me out.

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Ah, yes. Classic NYC at its best. Basically exactly what I expected. Interesting pink. Get yourself a nice Cotton White seat to match the bowl or a black one to offset it or a pink one. The Toto SS114 (or 113 if that's a round bowl--I can't tell from the photo but it looks round to me) might be a nice addition -- good heavy-plastic slow close seat. Scrub those classic NYC little floor tiles real well, and the whole thing should come up quite nicely. That Crane looks fine to me.

Or you can look at the Mayfair/Bemis seats if you like a good sturdy slow-close wood one. Here is their color palette, which I just saw identified for someone else. http://www.bemisseats.com/catalog/toilet-seat-colors/ You can get these locally or on the big online site(s).

Lee Hsieh

Reaction score
wjcandee thank you so much for your help and being so receptive to my questions.

I have a few additional questions, if it's not too much to ask.

So my mother wants to renovate the bathroom including replacing the floor tiles etc. The contractor said he will need to take out the toilet etc to do that.

1. Is that true? Can I just keep the current system in place, if it's not broken why fix it sort of thing?
2. If I do need to do that, should I just buy a new toilet and flushometer while I am at it. Why replace old parts if I am doing the job, and might as well install it new.
3. Does anyone have recommendations for a replace flushometer/toilet that will work for my current plumbing situation?

Sorry for the questions, don't know where to start and have no reference point.

Lee Hsieh

Reaction score
Also, WJCAMDEE, I am looking to speak to a licensed plumber to discuss options. Are you a plumber by any chance? or can recommend one to me?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I"m not, but we have used Maccarone Plumbing in Glen Cove, 516-671-3232. A number of schwanky buildings on my block in the Upper East Side also use them and I see their trucks regularly on my block. They do lots of work in the City. They are not the cheapest, but they have been honest with us and done good work for us for years.

Reach4

Reaction score
If re-plumbing, I would consider rotating the stool ~10 degrees CCW.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks