Hey, Terry Flowguard CPVC getting brittle

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I did a water heater this morning and ran into some problems with the CPVC piping. It's old and brittle, and snapped off rather suddenly after two clicks from my ratchet cutters. This is what I thought to be the premium brand, and what I used exclusively when I was doing new houses, 10+ years ago. I picked up materials to do a copper installation, and got surprised once I got to the job. I transitioned my work to the CPVC with sharkbites and left everything dry and in good shape. However, I'm a little worried about the plastic not holding up. I was expecting a longer life-span out of the Flowguard-Gold pipe. If others have had similar concerns feel free to vector me to other posts on the subject. Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have had CPVC crack even sooner than that depending on the environment where it is installed.

brittle-cpvc-terrylove.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks