Helping finding main clean out line

Users who are viewing this thread

rnakawat

Reaction score
We just purchased a house in Laguna Hills (built in 1965, concrete slab). We got a sewer backup problem and had to call an emergency 24/7 plumber from the phonebook. They speculated a root problem and recommending jetting, however they could not find the main 4" C/O so they had to go through the aux C/O with a smaller jet. They recommend we install a new 4" C/O at $1650 and consider relining. The prices are probably really high especially since they did this without running a camara down their to really assess the problem, but to start with I'm hoping I can find the main C/O if one was ever installed. Are there any recommendations on where to start looking - I know nothing about plumbing? I have three bathrooms (one on the first story, two on the second story, plus laundry hookup in the garage (which may have been added, as all the water piping is on the outside of the wall) all on the left hand side of the house along the left wall. The kitchen in on the right hand side (opposite) side of the house. The aux C/O was on the wall right by the downstairs bathroom.

Any tips to where to look? Under the washing machine? Somewhere in the garage (the garage unfortunately is stuffed with boxes right now because we just moved in.) Or is the C/O on the outside of the house?

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you go outside and look at your roof there should be vent stacks, they are usually one big stack 3-4" and some smaller ones 1-2". The larger one could have a C/O at the bottom just before it enters the slab. Your best bet however is to have a camera run down to find where and what the problem is, at the same time you might find an outside C/O and you would know where your line is if you decide on replacing it.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I question jetting if there is a root problem. From what I have read, an auger would be needed to cut the roots. I would suggest another company, specifically not a franchised company with "rooter" in their name. Insist on a camera inspection.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. You can almost be sure there IS a main cleanout outside the building.
2. There may be a cleanout in the pipe behind one of the toilets, but drywallers have a tendency cover them so they are buried where you cannot get to them.
3. That is a ridiculous price to install a cleanout.
4. Some of the older houses have a tee in the pipe where it leaves the house, and if that is what you have, you must dig down to the pipe to access it.
5. A pipe locater, NOT a plumber with locating equipment, is the best choice to find out where your pipe exits the house. Once you know that the location of the cleanouts, there are usually two next to each other, are usually easy to find, even if landscapers, (who apparently do not like cleanouts any more than drywallers do), have buried them.

liplumber

Reaction score
I agree you should get a camera inspection done. I don't know as much as some of the plumbers here but my father has a cesspool service suffolk county and he says that you should see where the pipe exits are before messing around with anything too much. Plumbing is a trip isn't it?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In addition to the previous comments, a company that automatically recommends relining a pipe before they even know WHAT the pipe's condition is would be suspect to me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks