Help_Need Advice Please_Septic Tank

Users who are viewing this thread

LostSoul

Reaction score
I am new here. I hope I am posting in the right forum. Here is my problem now. I will try to explain it as simply as I know how since I am a newbie when it comes to these sorts of things. I am ok until something goes wrong and then I panic, LOL.

Ok, here is the problem now. I don't live in the city limits, so I can not connect to city water and sewer. My water is ok. I had a deep well dug many years ago so I should have decent water for some time to come. The problem is my septic tank. The septic tank is over 30 years old I think. I have had 4 mobile homes in this same spot since I purchased the 5 acres of land and moved here. All 4 mobile homes have been connected to this same septic tank.

The problem is my septic tank is not draining. Thankfully, it is not backing up in the house yet. There is just a huge wet spot in the front yard. I just had it pumped out again and it is overflowing again. I suppose the effluent is not being drained via the leach field where it is reabsorbed into the earth.

My questions now.

1. Do those online bacteria products that advertise to unclog things and reopen up your drainfield work and are they worth it in your opinion? Some have money back guarantees.

2. I hear that if the drainfied needs to be dug up and replaced, that pricetag could run anywhere between 5 and 15 thousand dollars. Ouch! That is a lot of money and I don't have a lot of money. LOL Is this true?

3. Maybe the septic tank and the leachfield need replacing? How likely is this? Isn't the septic tank itself just a large concrete container recessed in the earth. Why would it ever need replacing?

4. My mother lives with me and has flowers planted all over the place, one right by the septic tank. Image I imagine these sorts of things will just add to the cost if they are in the way b/c these things have to be dug up.

5. If you were me, what would you try doing 1st?

6. I looked in the yellow pages. What kind of a person or company would I even call for something like this? This is not a problem rotor rooter can solve, correct? I don't know what to even look for.

7. I have one final question I will ask after I get back some replies from you experts here. I really need some guidance please as to the best way to go from here.

Thanks everyone and I hope y'all are having a terrific day.

Reach4

Reaction score
Did you think the person pumping your tank did a good job? Especially if that was done by a small outfit, I would ask his advice. There is a good chance who will know who is good in the area and what works..

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to call your county health department or your county environmental health department. They will come out and determine what you need to do.

This is from:

https://dph.georgia.gov/environmental-health/wastewater-management/wastewater-rules-and-regulations

Georgia Department Of Public Health
Manual for On-Site Sewage Management Systems
Section A – Rules and Regulations

511-3-1-.03 General Requirements for On-Site Sewage Management Systems.

(2) No person may begin the physical development of a lot or structure where an on-site sewage management system will be utilized, nor install an on-site sewage management system or component thereof, without having first obtained from the County Health Department a construction permit for the installation of an onsite sewage management system.

(c) Repairs, replacement, or additions to existing systems must be permitted and inspected.

Gsmith22

Reaction score
drain fields can cost way more than 5 to 15k - really depends on size and if the soil needs to be excavated and replaced with an engineered fill. your description sounds like you have a drainfield problem if the tank keeps backing up and it has been pumped recently (presumably removing any solids build up in the tank).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks