HELP! Kohler Portrait toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

ERS1

Reaction score
I'm a grandmother with grandchildren and relatives who are always here and I need new toilets for everyone's use. I live in California, so I need to be conscious of how much water I use and I definitely don't want to worry about flushing "everything" down. If I don't have to worry too much about the cost (I won't be doing this again) what should I buy? My master bedroom has a one-piece with a modern look. My powder room has a Kohler Revival. My guest bath has a Kohler Portrait. We would like to replace all three. They don't have to be the same, but they can be. I think I want comfort height because we're getting older. (We're actually already there!) Advice, please!?!?

portrait-k3591-01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You have plenty of choices now. If you stick with Kohler, there have been improvements. Most come in comfort height now, and the flushing has improved over what you have now.
TOTO also makes good product, and there are some products from American Standard doing better now.

Here is a Kohler Tresham that I installed in a friends home. He likes it.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If you want a comfort height toilet that looks very nice, makes everything go down reliably, and uses only 1.28 gallons of water per flush, I would look at the Toto Drake II, CST454CEFG. Check Terry's prices above to see what's fair; you should be able to find the toilet at a plumbing supply house for a price similar to Terry's. Just call around to several using the yellow pages. Some will be high and rude, and some will be offering a good price and be nice. Since you are Internet-savvy (you're here after all), plug in that model number in Google and you will see some pictures and features of the toilet from around the internet. It's one of Toto's most popular, because it works well.

If you like the modern-look one-piece in your Master Bath, check out the Toto Ultramax II, model MS604114CEFG. We have a similar version of that toilet in the Master, and love, love, love it. Flushes beautifully, looks great. Comfort-height. Double-cyclone flush (which shoots water as a jet from two horizontal openings, which helps clean the bowl better, and eliminates all the little holes under the rim to keep clean). CEFIONTECT glaze to make cleaning easier. (The Drake II also has all these features standard.) Also a 1.28 gallon per flush toilet.

Toto's one-pieces come with a seat, although any standard seat will fit. The two-piece toilets don't come with the seat; you can use any standard seat, but the Toto SS114 Slow-Close seat that comes on the Ultramax II is also sold separately and is a fan-favorite.

soiree_clyde_1.jpg

Toto also makes some snappy-looking toilets that perform well and are a little prettier. The Soiree is beautiful, MS964214CEFG and flushes beautifully.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I'd recommend the Kohler Highline. Comfort height and Class 5. The Class 5 flush is so much more effective than what you currently have. Both of the toilets you mentioned originally came with the Kohler Lite flush from the 90's. It was one the worst flush any Kohler ever had. I think Lowe's and HD sell the Highline for around $200.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks