Help with washing machine

Users who are viewing this thread

MJB

Reaction score
After running a cycle in washing machine, water was dripping onto the clothes only when we used hot. Then machine would not work at all on hot. It just buzzed. I tried to clean vents on water inlet valve. It seemed to work. Hot water was back working, but after a few minutes the hot water pipe right above the machine starts banging really loud and will not stop unless you shut it off or switch to cold.

I then replaced the water inlet valve with a new one, but I am still having the problem with the really loud banging pipe which means we have not been able to use hot water.

I'm now wondering if the issue is with the washing machine valve. It's a Symmons #W-400. Should I replace it or could there be another problem I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some washing machines cycle the water on/off frequently, especially while in the beginning of the cycle while it's doing its load weighing, balancing act (mine does, but it's a front loader, not all do this). That quick on/off can cause the pipes to bang and move around. A hammer arrester may solve the problem. Big box stores sell them, no plumbing skills required...they just screw on. This problem can become worse if the water pressure is high, and is often more noticeable if the pipes are not properly anchored. Over time, if the pipes are moving around, that movement can cause rubbing on things, and worst case, wear a hole in the pipe! It's not great for the hoses, either...eventually, they may burst.

MJB

Reaction score
Some washing machines cycle the water on/off frequently, especially while in the beginning of the cycle while it's doing its load weighing, balancing act (mine does, but it's a front loader, not all do this). That quick on/off can cause the pipes to bang and move around. A hammer arrester may solve the problem. Big box stores sell them, no plumbing skills required...they just screw on. This problem can become worse if the water pressure is high, and is often more noticeable if the pipes are not properly anchored. Over time, if the pipes are moving around, that movement can cause rubbing on things, and worst case, wear a hole in the pipe! It's not great for the hoses, either...eventually, they may burst.

Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know how it works out!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks