Help with tub to shower conversion, water line reroute

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by loudgonzo, Jan 7, 2014.

1. loudgonzo

loudgonzo New Member

Hi guys,

I was suggest by a member on another forum to ask about a tub to shower conversion I am doing here. I removed the old "original" tub and found the builder routed the water supply line outside the studs, and now it does not allow us to put the wall up because the tubing is in the way.

A couple options are to build the wall out to make room for the water lines, or cut notches into the existing studs and use rigid pipe to route the lines flush with the studs.

Is there another option we can do, or a is any one of the above better than the other?

Thanks in advance,
    leo photo (29).jpg tearout 2.jpg
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Pick up a 1-3/8" drill bit and put the pipes in the wall. You may need to rent a angle drill for that.
    Or.........you can notch the wall studs.
    With the old fiberglass enclosures, you can get away with a bit more as far as location of the piping.