Help with settings for my new 7000SXT

Users who are viewing this thread

ScAndal

Reaction score
I have purchased and installed a Fleck 7000SXT 80k softener and I'm ready to test it out.

Note: I will be purchasing a separate iron filter in the near future but needed to get softener up and running because my slowly dying unit finally died. I'm assuming I'll have to tweak settings after that but I'll deal with that later.

Stats:
4 person household
Well Water
10 GPM Flow Rate
Iron: .81 ppm
Manganese: .08 mg/L
Magnesium: 45.00 mg/L
pH: 7.75 SU
Turbidity: 0.79 N.T.U.
Color: 5.0 C.U.
Odor: none
T.D.S.: 554.4 mg/L
Sediment: none
Hardness: 25gpg
Sulfate: 24.73

I haven't really seen any straightforward advice on programming so I'd thought I'd ask my fellow experts.

I'm assuming I would set the hardness to 30gpg to adjust for the iron?

Bannerman

Reaction score
0.81 ppm iron X 4 = 3.24
0.08 mg/L manganese X 2 = 0.16
25 Grains hardness = 25
Total = 28.4 compensated hardness rounded to 29

A 30 grain setting would provide a slight bit of margin which is OK.

ScAndal

Reaction score
Bannerman,

Would you have any advice on the other settings such as:

C - unit capacity
RS - reserve selection (sf, rc or cr)

I'm assuming 7 days for the DO would work to prevent fouling from iron.

What about Regen Cycle times for:
B1
BD
B2
RR
BF

I couldn't find any definitive information on these.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Here is a site that that explains softener settings especially on achieving efficient operation. http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/softeners/sizingchart.htm

As that site's sizing chart (link near bottom) calculates you require a 3 cu/ft softener (96,000 grains) but since you have a 2.5 cu/ft unit, you will need to calculate the salt and brine fill setting manually, the manner explained on the page linked to.

The brine fill setting is reliant on the BLFC (brine line flow control) installed within your unit (.25 or. 5 Gal/min) which will likely be indicated on a label near the brine injector. Each gallon of water entering the brine tank (ex: .25 X 4 min BF setting = 1 gallon), will dissolve 3 lbs of salt.

While you have an 80,000 total capacity softener, it would be an inefficient use of salt to use the entire capacity. Salt efficiency is substantially increased by programming a lessor 'useable' capacity so as to regenerate well before the total capacity is consumed. For example, consuming the total capacity would require at least 15 lbs of salt per cu/ft of resin (15 X 2.5 = 37.5 lbs) each regenerate cycle, which equals only 2,000 grains per pound. By programming the 'C' number as 60 for your unit, means that only 20 lbs of salt is required (8 lbs/cu/ft) to regenerate 60K grains which is a much improved 3,000 grains/lb.

Your requirements are: 4ppl X 30 grains X 60/gals/day/person = 7,200 grains/day
7.2K X 7 days = 50,400 grains/week. As you also require 1 day reserve, this adds an additional 7.2K meaning your "C" could be set as low as 57,600 (58). With an 8 lbs/cu/ft salt setting, you would require 6.6 gallons of water, the BF time as determined by your BLFC as previously mentioned.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is a stab at it. I am not a pro, and info is mostly from other posters.

Attachments

• pix_1.GIF
    pix_1.GIF
    18.7 KB · Views: 410

ScAndal

Reaction score
OK that helps tremendously. Thanks to both of you. I think i'm starting to get this.

7200 grains per day * 8 = 57,600 so I'm good with capacity of 58k.

The BLFC rate on my unit is .125 so the BF time for 6.6 gallons would be 52.8 minutes right (55 rounded)?

So that all makes sense.

Reach,

How are you determining these values:
-B1
-BD
-B2
-RR

Reach4

Reaction score
OK that helps tremendously. Thanks to both of you. I think i'm starting to get this.

7200 grains per day * 8 = 57,600 so I'm good with capacity of 58k.

The BLFC rate on my unit is .125 so the BF time for 6.6 gallons would be 52.8 minutes right (55 rounded)?

So that all makes sense.

Reach,

How are you determining these values:
-B1
-BD
-B2
-RR

Reach4

Reaction score
8*2.5=20 pounds of salt. 6.667 gallons ; BF=53.333 which you could round either way. I did not follow the use of C=57.6 rather than 60.0, but it is a small difference.

ScAndal

Reaction score
8*2.5=20 pounds of salt. 6.667 gallons ; BF=53.333 which you could round either way. I did not follow the use of C=57.6 rather than 60.0, but it is a small difference.

Makes sense. I was just curious on
-B1
-BD
-B2
-RR

And how these are determined. I'm not questioning your numbers at all, just interested in learning about them

Bannerman

Reaction score
I now realize I had included a mistake in the calculation. While a 1 day reserve is required, it should not be included within the programmed usable capacity as I had, but should be subtracted from the total usable capacity.

As your 20 lbs salt setting can regenerate 60K grains capacity, the reserve should be subtracted from that giving a 'C' of 52,800 (52) which continues to exceed your weekly requirement.

Edited to add:. I'm not sure if your 7000sxt control requires that the reserve is subtracted manually or if the control automatically calculates a reserve from within the programmed setting as Reach's chart seems to suggest.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
It is not so clear to me either. I suggest you check these threads where it comes up some:

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/point-me-to-help.59741/

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/at-wits-end-with-new-fleck-7000-stx.50095 reply #4

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/need-help-with-fleck-7000sxt-programing.57256/

https://terrylove.com/forums/index....-noise-troubleshooting-and-programming.48284/

I know that the scarcity of water in your area can be a factor. Longer times will work, but minimizing water use can result in shorter times. BD has to be at long enough to draw all of the brine and usually some more. Let us know what you figure out.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Makes sense. I was just curious on
-B1
-BD
-B2
-RR

And how these are determined. I'm not questioning your numbers at all, just interested in learning about them

B1 is the first backwash, this lifts the bed and cleans it of dirt and loosens it up for easier downflow brining. If your water is particularly dirty, longer backwashes may be needed, otherwise a 3-7 minute time is adequate.

BD this calculated based on the systems design. If you want to set it manually (without using the brine draw/pressure) charts, simply put the system into regeneration and when it goes to BD, you will see and hear the system run out of salt in the brine tank. Simply x3 to get an estimated BD time. IE: system goes into brine draw and it takes 33 minutes to draw the brine, BD time should be 99 minutes.

B2, second backwash, very important in low salt applications. Not so important in salting at 8# or more. 3 minutes is fine.

RR, a simple packing rinse and this cycle also ensure good clean water to the application when the system returns online. 5 minutes is usually adequate.

All this being said, some of the original softeners had none of these cycles, only an upflow brine cycle. The worked for decades without a problem. These numbers are not as important as some websites will have you believe. If you get the BD cycle wrong, you could get salty water.

FYI, I run a very slow brine cycle at my house, the total BD cycle is almost 2 hours. I have a TDS monitor on the drain and the TDS drops back to the same as the raw water during the last 5 minutes of the 2 hour cycle. The draw is about 40 minutes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks