HELP with Sand Point

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by sammyb71, Jun 24, 2014.

1. sammyb71

sammyb71 New Member

OK...here's the history...I put an 1 1/4" sand point in 7 years ago...it ran fine until this year. I suddenly had no capacity for my sprinklers. When I ran a garden hose down it, the well just takes the city water and it never comes up to the top of the pipe. It would show 6 feet of water static though in the 16 foot well...
    I jacked out the old point and it was scaled and plugged up for 95% of it...the top 3" (36" well point) showed a lot of rust, leading me to believe that it was catching air at the top...
    I drove a new point today, and it is 18'6"...I am showing 6.5' of static water in the well. If I run the garden hose down it, the water never comes to the top of the pipe. It just flows and flows down the well.
    I went though one layer of clay...Could my point be plugged? I would think the water wouldn't go down from the top if it was...
    Do I need to go deeper to just on top another layer of clay?
    How can I have 6-7 feet static water in the well, yet flow city water down it all day without it coming to the top? My screen cant be plugged if I can do this right?
    My neighbour has experienced problems too this year...The city is doing some road work / drainage...Maybe they dropped the water bearing level?

Please help...I am out of gas and money!

Regards,
    Sam
  2. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

If the well is taking water then the point is not clogged. I would guess you have a small air leak at one of the couplings or before the pipe gets to the pump.
  3. sammyb71

sammyb71 New Member

Thanks for the reply...
    I tightened really well all the way down and used ample pipe sealant...Do you think I need to develop the well with air or make a bailer?

Sam
  4. valveman

valveman Moderator Staff Member

A hand pump would work better and would let you know if you have a leak.
  5. sammyb71

sammyb71 New Member

"Well"...(sorry) I figured it out...It seems that I snapped my suction pipe off at a coupling...Good news, it's 4 feet down...I dug down to it and will manually rethread tomorrow...I have no idea how I managed to do this though, I was using a 14" pipe wrench and was being cautious as I have snapped one before...I guess too many Wheaties...Hopefully that's the only broken thread section...Must be a bad batch of pipe, since its the 2nd time...maybe someone threaded too deeply?
    Anyway, explains why I had 7 feet static but couldn't draw, and it would take all the city water I could give it...
    Better not be snapped anywhere else!!!

Keep you posted....

Sam (Hercules)
  6. sammyb71

sammyb71 New Member

OK update...dug down and rejoined suction pipe. I can slowly fill the suction pipe to the top with city water but it drops down fast when I stop filling...
    I have a water faucet tap attached to the top of my suction pipe. When I supplement the suction side with town water, my pump will pump, but when I turn it off fully, the pump dies...
    When I open the water tap on suction side after I shut off the pump, there is a lot of suction at the tap...It is pulling some lift...Just cant get it to catch enough to be self sufficient..
    I didn't blow my pipe with air, but like I said, the town water flows quickly down the well, telling me the tip is not plugged...
    Any suggestions apart from dropping another tip?

Frustrated badly, please help...
    Sam