Help with noisy vacuum breaker

Users who are viewing this thread

Canadian Puppy

Reaction score
A vacuum breaker of mine started leaking. I took it off the outside faucet and noticed that the washer covering the relief holes was cracked in several places, and due to the construction of this specific VB, I couldn't repair it. I bought a new VB at Home Depot, and now I am experiencing whistling problems with it. I have checked that the washers are seated correctly and everything looks fine. I did NOT have this problem before hand so I am thinking it is the new VB. Anything I should try before I go back to Home Depot to get a replacement? I live out in the country so this is a bit of an inconvenience for me.

Thanks in advance.

Canadian Puppy

Reaction score
RUGGED said:
If the vaccum breaker is not OEM, this may be the reason for the problem.

Find out what the brand name of the faucet is and buy only Original Equipment Manufacture parts.

You make a good argument. The replacement part I purchased is made by B&K. I'm having trouble identifying the original part however. Since you mentioned an incompatibility, I've decided I'll just do my best to find the exact vacuum breaker I'm replacing.

Notable markings on it are: "VACUUM BREAKER TECK 12"

I'm a fairly new DIY so I'm not very familiar with the brands that are out there, and some help identifying this would be appreciated since I like walking into a place well informed if I can be.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vb

If the vacuum breaker unscrewed from the faucet, and the faucet had standard hose threads on it, then there was no OEM vacuum breaker. It was an aftermarket one just like the replacement. But you probably have a bad replacement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks