Help with maintaining pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

SC Handyman

Reaction score
I've seen some postings about the pros and cons of using a check valve to solve pressure loss on the well side of the system. I installed a check valve about 2 years ago with no "apparent" problems. How can I troubleshoot this problem without pulling the pump unless the leakback is in the well pipe or pump check valve!

My system is a 350' submerged pump. The pump was replaced about 11 years ago because of a lightning strike. I noticed then that the well pipe was made up of sections of PVC. Would it be likely that the leakdown was coming from one of these PVC connections? I would like to defer the cost of this if possible until the next time the pump dies, if possible.

The other problem probably not related to this is low water pressure, especially in the upstairs bath. I have adjusted the switch pressure to 40-60 which has helped some, but can I safely go higher? Would a new diaphram tank help? The existing one is 22 years old. It's a 36 gal. X -trol. Diaphram pressure seems to be OK but does leak down a few psi over 6 mos. or so.

Any advise/suggestions much appreciated.

Speedbump

Reaction score
There have been a lot of us who say no check valve up top. There are a few others who say go ahead. If you do put in a check valve up top, you are only masking a problem and are also taking a risk that your kids will be drinking contaminated water.

If you have a tank that old, replace it, it's bad. I have seen very few of even the best on the market last that long. If it's losing air that often, that is a very good indication that it's time to replace it.

What makes you think the water is going back down the well? Have you closet the main valve to see if the water may be going into the house?

The pressure upstairs is going to be 5 lbs. less than the downstairs faucets because of elevation. You may also check the aerators on the faucets, they can plug up over time. Any filters in the system?

bob...

SC Handyman

Reaction score
I rolled the dice on the check valve install and the leakdown stopped. It was a substantial loss, about 5 psi/min.
Is it logical that the leak must be below the water table or else I would be pumping some air?
I do have a filter but it is on the pump side of the tank. There is about 100' underground (about a foot down) from the tank to the well head also. I have checked the ground suface and found no wet areas.
I have checked the aerators. They are pretty clean. I noticed the kitchen faucet has very small lines from the feedline connection into the faucet. (It's a Delta single handle.) This is the only downstairs location that has a pressure problem.

I will replace the tank right away. Do you think the Lowe's brand tank are fairly comparable to some of the others out there? Also, It's only a few dollars more for a 50 gal.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You have a filter between the pump and tank??? That's a BoZo No No!

With a leak that small, it's doubtful you will see water in the yard unless your in an all clay type of soil.

You said the leak must be below the water or you would get air. Now that you have installed the check valve is when you might get air. Before the check valve the pipes were under pressure. Now they will be under a vacuum. This is where your air/contamination may come from.

No comment on the Big Box tanks, I might be sued for slander.

bob...

Last edited:

SC Handyman

Reaction score
It is an all clay soil.

What's with the filter location? Is it the problem it could cause if the filter became clogged?

Thanks for you "no comment" recommendation!

Speedbump

Reaction score
That filter can hide the pressure switch from the pump. All inline filters plug up with well water. Some just sooner than others.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks