Help with lowering 8" raised bathroom floors

Users who are viewing this thread

CaraMarie

Reaction score
I recently bought a 110 year old building that overall is in great condition with 10 foot ceilings and large windows, but one thing that's sticking out to me and ruinimg the aesthetics of the space is my 1.5 bathrooms that both have 8" raised floors.

The first floor is a retail space that I also own and am ok with disturbing ceilings, has 2 bathrooms and a kitchen area that are flush with the rest of the flooring. 2nd floor kitchen is not built on a platform, but unfortunately the half bath and main bathroom both sit on 8" platforms to accomadate plumbing. I think the apt was a gut rehab in 1947, so not sure what the original bathroom plumbing looked like.

I have a few questions; does anyone know why the space may have been renovated this way? This building was previously a rental unit for low income families in a not so safe neighborhood that has since gentrified. My guess is that this raised plumbing may have been the cheapest, easiest option at the time. What do you think; have you seen this type of plumbing done before to save money?

How difficult and expensive would it be if I hired a plumber to lower the floors? Also, is some of the drywall salvagable? My boyfriend thinks this would be a $40k rehab job, doesn't that seem high? I'm capable of hanging drywall, tiling, putting in subfloor and painting myself and have a friend who's an electrician that is always willing to help out. I'm just 100% clueless when it comes to plumbing and basically everything that goes on behind drywall and subfloors.

Edit: I forgot to add that the main bathroom is 7x7 and powder room 4x8

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you are looking for estimates and bids, you will have to have contractors come to the house, inspect, measure, etc.
I, and everybody else here, can't tell you the price without seeing what you have. Furthermore, can't tell you the reasons behind what you have.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have a few questions; does anyone know why the space may have been renovated this way? This building was previously a rental unit for low income families in a not so safe neighborhood that has since gentrified. My guess is that this raised plumbing may have been the cheapest, easiest option at the time.
I am confident your guess is right. The alternative seems to me would be to put the drain plumbing below the floors. It could be boxed in after the work. For the main floor, that would be at the basement ceiling.

No clue what it would cost. I am not a pro. And if I did have an idea on costs, the number would be much more expensive in some areas.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
It may be that the floor was raised to accomodate the plumbing, and to only good alternative will be to lower the ceiling below proportionally. Rearranging the layout may result in better results if the piping can be boxed in on the floor below. To do a job like this correctly, you will likely need a full complement of tradesman, as the piping is best left for a plumber, the framing and finish work is for carpenters, and there will likely need to be some electrical done, to move receptacles and such. The normal process would be to have a general contractor hired to have the entire job done. Depending on the size of the space and what the finished product is expected to look like (tile, tub/shower/fixtures,etc), the price could swing either way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks