Help with Kohler Kitchen Faucet Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

bearbacker82

Reaction score
I have a Kohler K-15160 Coralais single control pullout kitchen faucet. It has been intalled about 2 years and has buttons on top of the pull out to change the spray. Recently when you turn on the water it works fine until you turn the water on hot for a period of time or you push the spray button to change spray then the water pressure drops off by at least 50% and will not return until you turn off the water and let it set for a few minutes. My wife is not happy, any suggestions on what the problem might be?

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
From a service plumber's point of view?

A Kohler faucet can sometimes be very difficult to service due to the availability of parts, dealing with Kohler themselves.

"Some" have good luck with dealing with Kohler but the majority do not, me included.

When I hear of a customer talking about Kohler faucets, I basically interrupt them and tell them that it's guaranteed that it's going to be a two-trip-trick.

One time to look at, dismantle the faucet, have the "bad" parts in my hand,

the second trip is coming back with Kohler OEM parts shipped to me or bought at the supply house that was ordered, took days to get...praying to god that the parts in my hands even though OEM will fix the problem.

And I say that even though I'm correctly replacing the part that is defective.

I'd rather spin the call away most times just to protect my working relationship with the customer. It's really that bad.

My advice is to go to their site, open up a PDF explosion of the parts diagram and order parts from Kohler. I stopped looking on that site years ago just to save brain matter. :D

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I agree that site is brutal!
If you knew the model number I might look it up...
Other than that you'd have to be a paying customer!

bearbacker82

Reaction score
I have a Kohler K-15160 Coralais single control pullout kitchen faucet. It has been intalled about 2 years and has buttons on top of the pull out to change the spray. Recently when you turn on the water it works fine until you turn the water on hot for a period of time or you push the spray button to change spray then the water pressure drops off by at least 50% and will not return until you turn off the water and let it set for a few minutes. My wife is not happy, any suggestions on what the problem might be?
Thanks for the information but do you have any idea what the problem might be. The water will be flowing then I hear a thump like pressure has been abruptly stopped and the flow reduces. Should I just replace the cartidge that is under the handle? I can't see anything else it could be.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Thanks for the information but do you have any idea what the problem might be. The water will be flowing then I hear a thump like pressure has been abruptly stopped and the flow reduces. Should I just replace the cartidge that is under the handle? I can't see anything else it could be.

Sounds like a malfunctioning diverter assembly.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
But with a pull out faucet there is not a diverter.

Good thing you put in a part #:D

Take a look at this link...
hose and spout parts.

I would remove the #1993736 or, 1020400 spray head from the hose then direct the hose into the sink and turn it on. See what happens. If water comes out okay you need a new sprayhead. If it doesn't we've got to go back towards the supply...

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Why is everything marked MEXICO on that?
Are we in MEXICO right now?
Si?

We're not but Kohler sure as hell is...
China too I believe...
Next thing you know they will be bought out by the same investment group that owns Am. Std...

bearbacker82

Reaction score
Rugged,

Thanks for the advice, I removed the 1000189 flow control / check valve and it solved the problem. Now the next question is why do I need this flow control / check valve? It works fine without it.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Have youse guys looked over Kohlers pro section of their site yet? I find it a bit more user friendly.

wrj

Reaction score
Rugged,

Thanks for the advice, I removed the 1000189 flow control / check valve and it solved the problem. Now the next question is why do I need this flow control / check valve? It works fine without it.

I have the same problem. I see the check valve but how do you get it out? Does it pull out or is there something else to remove first?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That is to keep a sink load of foul water from sucking back into the potable water system if you leave the spray head under water.

Personally I'd order the whole spray head assy...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
spray

If it happens when you operate the diverter, it is IN the diverter. One of the two spray patterns is plugged up, and if you cannot clean it, replace the head. It may have a generic 1/2" ips connection that many other heads will fit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks