Help with hot tub tubing leak!

Users who are viewing this thread

thadisrad

Reaction score
Hey fellas,

Scored a free hot tub on craigslist. Problem is it has a pretty serious leak from the union between the heater tailpipe (stainless steel) and the PVC. I replaced the o-ring already, and that hasn't helped. The tub is old (1993), and the company that makes it (Morgan), doesn't sell parts for this tub anymore.

I'd like to be able to fix this myself, before I invest more money in a plumber coming out to fix the leak, only to find out the tub doesn't actually work once I get it filled up.

I welcome all advice, even if it means sealing the union up for good somehow. As long as the thing holds water I'll be happy. It was free after all, I'm not worried about not being able to open up the union at a later date to service it.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_1145.JPG
    IMG_1145.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_1146.JPG
    IMG_1146.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1147.JPG
    IMG_1147.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_1148.JPG
    IMG_1148.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1149.JPG
    IMG_1149.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 164

thadisrad

Reaction score
Thanks guys, in the first picture you should be able to see the flanged collar that clamps them together.

I already replaced the o-ring, and the next size up o-ring is huge! Highly doubt it will fit but I guess I'll head back to the store, grab it and give it a shot.

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Thanks guys, in the first picture you should be able to see the flanged collar that clamps them together.

I already replaced the o-ring, and the next size up o-ring is huge! Highly doubt it will fit but I guess I'll head back to the store, grab it and give it a shot.
Next size up "where you shop" may be huge, but I'm sure you could find an o-ring that is just a "little bigger" if you search the internet (and if you know what size you have now).

Themp

Reaction score
The o-ring in picture four seems to show that it is not the correct size for height or width. If you magnify that picture, the o-ring seems to be below the channel it sits in or or just barely at the same height as the channel. Nothing is broken on the two pipes so you would have to conclude that the o-ring is at fault here. Do you have the original one that was installed and can compare the diameters?

thadisrad

Reaction score
Soooo... original O-ring (that was on and leaking when I got the tub), was 2"x 1/8. That's what I tried using the first time I replaced it and it didn't work. Just tried 2" x 3/8, and it's a really tight squeeze, gonna need some lube and an extra pair of hands to try and force this thing in there (If I only had a nickel for every time I've said that...)

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Soooo... original O-ring (that was on and leaking when I got the tub), was 2"x 1/8. That's what I tried using the first time I replaced it and it didn't work. Just tried 2" x 3/8, and it's a really tight squeeze, gonna need some lube and an extra pair of hands to try and force this thing in there (If I only had a nickel for every time I've said that...)

1/8" = .1250,
1/4" = .2500, and
3/8" = .3750

That O-ring does not look to be 1/8" thick. I think you are referring to the O.D. versus I.D. measurements. And a 3/8" thick O-ring would be around the diameter of your pinky finger.

The "thickness" of the O-ring pictured is more like .075". The only real way to know is to measure the thickness with calipers. It seems that wherever your shopping now, they don't have a good selection. Perhaps try a Pool Supply place - or shop on-line.

See this, there is a good listing there to order O-rings.
Viton O-Ring, 75A Durometer, Black

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks