Help with faucet stem

Users who are viewing this thread

Freydo

Reaction score
Need help with how to remove a wall mount faucet stem. Tried unscrewing counter clockwise but it won't budge and started stripping.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 124

Reach4

Reaction score
See that clip?
4115628.jpg
I am not familiar with the faucet, but I suspect that needs to come out.

Also, I would try to use a 6-point socket, such as those "Shower Valve Wrench Sets".
76e3611c-830f-45c1-aa82-4152482fe17b_65.jpg

Last edited:

Freydo

Reaction score
Yup, took it out it won't budge. Went to the hardware store and couldn't find a stem the looked anything like that. Do I unscrew anything or would I get a tool and pull just the stem?

Freydo

Reaction score
No brand name visible and no rear access panel to see what's going on behind.

Freydo

Reaction score
See that clip?
4115628.jpg
I am not familiar with the faucet, but I suspect that needs to come out.

Also, I would try to use a 6-point socket, such as those "Shower Valve Wrench Sets".
76e3611c-830f-45c1-aa82-4152482fe17b_65.jpg
I got those sockets and they would just slip. Tried a long spark plug socket and nothing.

Reach4

Reaction score
I got those sockets and they would just slip. Tried a long spark plug socket and nothing.
If you had a spark plug socket or other deep 6-point socket that was the right size, you could try grinding off the chamfer.

Freydo

Reaction score
If you had a spark plug socket or other deep 6-point socket that was the right size, you could try grinding off the chamfer.
If I grind it off, how would I remove the larger threaded piece?

Reach4

Reaction score
I was talking about grinding on the socket. The chamfer is the taper on the end of the socket that reduces how much of the socket can grab the nut. The chamfer makes it easier to position the socket, but it makes less of the nut contact the socket.

Pass-through sockets can be used instead of a deep socket to clear that stem.

Also, when unscrewing, you should open the valve first.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to use a "stem removal wrench" (available everywhere, comes in a set in various sizes - $5 and up). All other wrenches are not suitable for the task and even make things worse.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You just need a "DEEP socket" that fits the hex and unscrew the unit from the faucet. The "C" clip has nothing to do with removing the stem and does not have to be removed to do it.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hold the deep socket with curved jaw vice grips (or what ever you can get a grip on it with). Use man sized tools. If that don't work, clamp two pairs of vise grips on the socket and turn it with both hands.

Last edited:

Freydo

Reaction score
I can reach the hex just fine it's just not turning and the hex is beginning to strip

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Some things are not worth fighting for, and this faucet could be one of them. I'm a problem solver, not a problem procrastinator.

If you have access to the faucet from the other side of the wall, cut the wall to gain access to the faucet, shut the main water supply and perform a surgery of replacing the faucet, then repair the drywall. It will save you time, frustration and rant AND you will have a new faucet.

Then again, maybe a little wd40 can help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks