Help with faucet replacement

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by DIYgirl, Jul 1, 2005.

1. DIYgirl

DIYgirl New Member

I'm in the process of replacing a faucet on an old porcelain (1950s) bathroom sink. I now realize that the center hole on the sink isn't big enough to accommodate the supply lines on the new faucet that need to go through the center hole! What would be the best way to enlarge the hole that is half an inch deep? I've tried a tile/glass drill bit with the idea of drilling around the hole, hardly made a dent! What about a jigsaw with the right blade? Or maybe a reciprocating saw?...Any ideas would be helpful, Thanks!

PS. Yes, I know I should probably just go and buy the right faucets but I got them at a really good price... :)
  2. MG

MG New Member

Diamond cut holesaws do this - I'm certain of it. I saw the installers for our countertop (Silestone) use one to drill the holes for our fixtures after they installed it. However, for the cost involved in one, you could likely buy a new sink or fixture - unless its a real big sink.

http://www.tiletool.net/hole_saw_diamond.asp
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2005
  3. DIYgirl

DIYgirl New Member

Thanks MG... At least now I have a better idea of what I'm looking for when I head back to the hardware store...Knowledge is a wonderful thing!
  4. you better think twice about this

I dont know exactly what you are dealing with,,,

if it is from the 50s its either CHINA or cast iron with

a porceline glaze on it......

Neither one is very user freindly when it comes to cutting into it..

If it is Cast , yes , you can drill through it, but the porceline

glaze on the cast will eventually crack and discolor leaving hair line

cracks that will be visible all around the spout....

It it is CHINA, DO NOT even try to cut that...
    I dont think it can even be done without totally cracking the
    china ...China is way too brittle to even attempt this....

at least I would not attempt it, and I never have becasue of the risk of

breaking something that cannot be replaced.

it would be wise to get a good faucet that fits the sink or you

are going to be putting the money into a new sink when you mess it up.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2005