Help with changing Price Phister knob to Moen lever tub handle

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by prosper, May 17, 2013.

1. prosper

prosper New Member

I'm trying to change my bath tub handle from a Moen knob to a Moen lever but have a problem. The posi-temp adapter that came with the lever kit does not fit onto the cartridge. I'm used to a brass or metal piece that the adapter screws into but the one that is currently attached is plastic and a different shape than I've seen before. See pictures. The bottom 2 pics are the posi-temp adapters that came with the new lever handle. Any suggestions on how to do this? Thanks!

DSC03749.jpg View attachment 20263 DSC03752.jpg DSC03753.jpg DSC03754.jpg DSC03755.jpg
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I believe you have a Price Phister cartridge there.

It's not a Moen cartridge in the wall.

[​IMG]
    Price Phister Avante valve

You need something that fits your PP Avante valve.

[​IMG]

Moen Posi-Temp
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  3. prosper

prosper New Member

Thanks for the reply. Can I change out just the cartridge or do I have to change the entire Avante valve to the Moen Posi-Temp to make it work? Sound like it might be easier to just get a Price Phister knob.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2013
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

qutoe; Sound like it might be easier to just get a Price Phister knob.

That is the ONLY way you are going to do it without changing the entire valve inside the wall. And, it would be the same no matter which brand you chose if it was NOT Pfister.