Help with Boiler Brand Choice for OIL/GAS Conversion

Users who are viewing this thread

splouie

Reaction score
Whats better Lennox GSB8-150 vs. Utica Peg 150 or McClein EG45-Steam-Gas Steam Proposals
2 questions which one is better a Lennox GSB8-150 or a Utica Peg 150 or McClain or Burnham equivalent

For an oil to gas conversion Steam Radiator System, about 8 radiaters, plus basement newer hot water baseboard which is never used, and another small cast iron baseboard for small newer den.

Including installation..

Lennox GSB8 System and job is $6900 with oil tank removal

The Utica Peg-150 or mclain or burnham is $6,000 with oil tank removal plus this guy wants to do the Bradford gas water heater replacement for another $800, total $6800

1800 sgft exoanded cape cod- L shape ranch with 2 bedrooms downstairs and 2 bedrooms upstairs nothing else.

Well i need to know which is the better boiler, and technically i dont need a new water heater, mine is 10 years old and he wants to change it.

Both excellant contractors. any thoughts would be great

Tk03

Reaction score
Did either of the contractors measure all the radiation and determine the amount of sq ft of radiation you have? This is a very important step in a steam boiler replacement.
Are the steam mains insulated? Do you have main line steam vents near the end of the steam mains?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am not a fan of any of the above for steam though If I had to pick it would be the Weil Mclain. Better for steam would be Peerless or H.B. Smith. The problem with most new steam boilers is that they lack the mass and water surface area to produce steam at a steady rate and have a tendency to surge and cycle. Using an Everhot condensate extraction tank on the main header can help the problem somewhat. Whatever you do ask around and make sure that the contractor has experience with steam.

splouie

Reaction score
thanks all...

the steam mains are insulated in the basement..... i do have a peerless oil furnace last 30 years and never breaks down, but i have to convert at these oil prices....

he never performed a calculation.... i know its an important step.... he said the size below 112,500 only puts out 90 btu, and that wont be enough since its an L shape ranch with expanded cape upstaires meaning, it wont be enough pressure to generate heat all the way to the other side of longer extension of the house sine the boiler is not centrally located...as those radioators are fall from the boiler.... hence he said it has to be next size up at 150/120... 1800 square foot house 8 radiators, plus basement baseboard upgrade, and another den extenstion with cast iron baseboard

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the boiler is in good shape why not just convert it to gas. Carlin makes the EZ1 gas burner that will pop right in. The thing with steam boilers is that you need to have mass and water content in order to avoid short cycling and surging in the boiler so low mass boilers don't do well on old piping. The Peerless JOT series is pretty much an ideal steam boiler because it has lots of head room above the water line for the steam to collect and stabilize.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks